Oryx and Crake etc by Atwood: suitable for ds (13)?

(26 Posts)
HmmAnOxfordComma Sun 01-Sep-13 00:18:46

I'm a big fan of hers - but not the biggest sci fi fan in the world - so I read Oryx and Crake when it first came out but cannot remember much of it and have not got around to Year of the Flood. Ds (13) picked up MaddAdam in the bookshop today and was intrigued by it so I explained that it was part of a (loose?) trilogy. Anyway, can anyone advise whether it would be ok for him to read them? He's a good reader, but quite wussy, and hasn't read much adult fiction yet, just humorous stuff like Hitchhiker, Captain Bluebear, a bit of Pratchett, etc. Any thoughts?

HmmAnOxfordComma Thu 05-Sep-13 20:09:22

Oh I won't (it has to have more merit than Danielle Steel which was one of my main reads at 12/13). I'd just love to stretch him sideways, too. But I realise this is not the point to put him off reading which would be a distinct possibility with the 'too much too soon' approach. (Not time for Cloud Atlas yet!) He's read the fourth HH tonight...

He wants to write/illustrate and I wouldn't do anything to discourage this interest. Thanks for all the input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now