F. Scott Fitzgerald

(16 Posts)
ColdfeetPinksocks Mon 02-Sep-13 00:34:06

You're not alone. I don't particularly like GG either. Far preferred The beautiful and the damned.

CircassianLeyla Sun 01-Sep-13 23:07:40

The film and the story are almost completely different I found other than the name and ageing process.

MsAmerica Sun 01-Sep-13 21:46:25

I read "Benjamin Button" when the movie came out, and I found it surprisingly flat.

Try "The Beautiful and Damned," which you may find more energetic and vivid.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 01-Sep-13 20:30:12

Tender is the Night is a beautiful read.

Chubfuddler Sat 31-Aug-13 21:43:41

Have you read Brideshead Revisited? Set later and in England obviously but they've always been my two giants of 20th century.

MrsDavidBowie Sat 31-Aug-13 19:21:00

Have you read Upton Sinclair , Theodore Dreiser or Sinclair Lewis? Both of the same age but better writers in ny opinion.

CircassianLeyla Sat 31-Aug-13 19:20:53

I am alone then. I just don't know why I can't engage. I quite liked the short story about a book shop owner. I can't even remember the title though. Diamond as bug as the Ritz was ok too.

CircassianLeyla Sat 31-Aug-13 19:18:45

I can also type and spell but have just noticed that both skills have proven elusive in my OP.

kickassangel Sat 31-Aug-13 18:33:39

If you like his descriptive writing try to find Th Ice Palace. Absolutely amazing writing.

Yama Sat 31-Aug-13 18:29:21

I loved Tender is The Night. Absolutely. Got lost in it and spent much time thinking about the characters.

FondantNancy Sat 31-Aug-13 18:24:03

I might try Tiffany's, I think I actually have a copy somewhere. I really enjoyed In Cold Blood but I'm guessing Tiffany's is a slightly different read!

Chubfuddler Sat 31-Aug-13 18:12:34

I also struggled with tender is the night after loving the great gatsby.

Have you ever read the novella of breakfast at tiffanys? It's very very good, much better than the film in every respect (and the ending is different).

FondantNancy Sat 31-Aug-13 18:06:23

I love the Great Gatsby, I also think it's a near perfect novel. Love the themes, the dissolute characters, everything about it. But I tried to read Tender is the Night and really disliked it. Struggled through to the end but found it bleak and disappointing. I haven't picked up another, but hoping to get around to reading some of his short stories.

sassytheFIRST Sat 31-Aug-13 14:00:51

I think he's a fabulous writer. The G G is, for me, a pretty much perfect novel. BUT his characters are all fairly dislikable and that means his stories aren't easy to engage with, IMO.

ZaraW Sat 31-Aug-13 13:48:47

I love The Great Gatsby his descriptive writing is just beautiful and the tale of greed and avarice. It's dark showing decaying of moral and social values.

CircassianLeyla Sat 31-Aug-13 11:50:42

I have recently read 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Yhe curious tale of Benjamin Button and other tales of the Jazz Age' and haven't really enjoyed either. Am I missing sonething huge? I see the decadence etc that he illustrates but his stories just are not working for me.

I have only rely stuck with them for book club.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now