Recommendations for holiday kindle downloads please...

(18 Posts)
vaticancameo Wed 28-Aug-13 23:13:26

Right, off on holiday for a fortnight and planning on as much reading as two small dcs will let me get away with...so I'm after some recommendations. I don't like chick lit. I'm after gripping, modern literary fiction (I'm an English teacher, so pretty au fait with the classics). I loved The God of Small Things, Midnight's Children, Wolf Hall, The Children's Book and Never Let Me Go. I love everything by Jonathan Coe, Margaret Atwood and Simon Armitage, and most things by Ian McEwan. Not particularly keen on Donna Tartt or Martin Amis (I know I should be, but he just irritates me). I love historical fiction, especially Victorian- era onwards. Not into anything involving elves, goblins, hobbits or vampires.

What've you got to tempt me with?

Sam100 Wed 28-Aug-13 23:25:19

Have just read "gone girl" by Gillian Flynn. I would describe as a psychological thriller - I enjoyed it.

phoolani Wed 28-Aug-13 23:31:45

Gone Girl was great -and I don't normally read anything that popular! The book I've just finished was Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and I utterly loved it. Perfect holiday reading; complex without being dense and with a cracking pace and plot line. Oh, and it's historical! And Martin Amis just is irritating. You're absolutely right there.

Sam100 Wed 28-Aug-13 23:32:56

Other books I have enjoyed - "the street philosopher" by Matthew plampin. Victorian setting.

phoolani Wed 28-Aug-13 23:33:09

Am also in the middle of AM Holmes' May we be forgiven and really enjoying it so far.

vaticancameo Wed 28-Aug-13 23:38:29

Great, some samples to download! Yes, I enjoyed Fingersmith, phoolani. Have you read The Little Stranger? That was good, too.

artyanklet Wed 28-Aug-13 23:41:58

What about "Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure" I have started to read this book, it follows on from the film "Chocolat" - so far so good!

phoolani Wed 28-Aug-13 23:58:14

No, haven't read The Little Stranger yet; the only other of hers I've read is The Night Watch which I enjoyed more and more as I got into it. But was seriously impressed by Fingersmith so am going to read all her others as soon as I get round to it.

phoolani Thu 29-Aug-13 00:01:49

The other thing I finished recently was the Ghost Road trilogy by Pat Barker and I thought all three were excellent.

joanofarchitrave Thu 29-Aug-13 00:03:29

i ADORED The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. But I'm a bit of a Roth fancier.

American Wife is lighter but deffo one up on chick lit.

ZaraW Thu 29-Aug-13 05:47:49

Kate Mosse is always good for a holiday read, Citadel is pretty good. Edward Rutherford's Paris it's been recommended to me but haven't read it yet.

Runandbecome Thu 29-Aug-13 06:19:37

Agree with phoolani on Gone Girl and May We Be Forgiven. Just finished Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell which was a good easy read. Found Where Do You Go Bernadette totally disappointing - not funny at all. About to start the Casual Vacancy...though reviews seem a bit iffy?

VioletStar Thu 29-Aug-13 06:43:40

If you liked God of small things try A fine balance by Rohinton Mistry. Perfect holiday read for me this year!

tripfiction Thu 29-Aug-13 07:56:11

Loved A Fine Balance.

Have just read Hannah Richell The Shadow Year, set in the Peak District. Really well written and some gentle twists and turns. It will be a contender for our top five this year.

The Son-in-Law by Charity Norman is well written too and is thought provoking.

Have a lovely holiday!

cupcake78 Thu 29-Aug-13 07:59:26

Just finished the white tiger and loved it! Also worth a look is the unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

peanutbutterandbanana Thu 29-Aug-13 08:24:42

The 100-year old man Who Climbed out Of A Window And Disappeared is brilliant.

I've just finished Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling's pseudonym for what I hope is going to be new series) - a crime thriller with great characters and a gripping storyline. Could not put it down.

GypsyJo Thu 29-Aug-13 19:49:53

Easy (but a bit literary) holiday reading on kindle... Lesley Glaister's As Far as you can go and Helen Howe's Black is the colour.
I read them both after being recommended on here and I think they are on offer too (less than 2 quid).
Must admit I didn't like Gone Girl - the characters just annoyed me too much!

Last chance to get A Crowded Coffin by Nicola Slade for 99p. English village murder with a few laughs (and by my mum!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now