Can anyone suggest some books for my niece, please?

(33 Posts)
MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 27-Aug-13 13:15:30

She's just 18, a rather quiet and studious girl (she's lovely!) and she wants to find some new authors.

She's read a lot of Victorian literature, Dickens, Hardy, Brontes, etc, but wants to read something a bit more modern. No scifi, no horror, no fantasy.

She has enjoyed The Curious Incident, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Mr Pip, and a few others. I think she'd like to find a new author rather than individual books if that makes sense, although not necessarily a series.

Any suggestions would be fantastic, thank you. I'm planning to take her book shopping next week.

The nose one is Giles Milton, I think. Must admit that I think his non-fiction is a zillion times better than the novel.

Yes to The Bell Jar.
And yes to The Handmaid's Tale.

Has anybody said Orwell yet?

Maybe some Isabel Allende?

thewhitequeen Wed 28-Aug-13 19:41:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovecolinfirth Thu 29-Aug-13 08:09:48

I recommend Daphne Du Maurier (Rebecca is by far my favourite), Tracey Chevalier and Khaled Hosseini. Brilliant authors.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 05-Sep-13 21:14:43

Reporting back after our shopping trip!

We bought Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, Wide Sargasso Sea, The Kite Runner and Animal Farm. I've lent her my own copies of The L-Shaped Room and The Collector.

That's enough for now, there's a birthday before Christmas, so lots more on the list will be bought! We looked at a few others (some weren't in stock) and have a list of more to get later on. Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

CleverChicken Fri 06-Sep-13 10:35:39

There's so much amazing Young Adult lit available, and at 18 she doesn't even need an excuse to read the stuff! There's a real trend toward dystopian fiction in YA at the mo, and lots of great stuff available which could only narrowly be defined as fantasy, so perhaps she'd still enjoy it.

I highly recommend:

Nought and Crosses by Malorie Blackman as a starting point.

Slated by Terri Terry

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Divergent by Veronica Roth

busybee1978 Mon 23-Sep-13 19:27:25

I think she sounds very lucky to have an aunt like you.

melodyangel Wed 02-Oct-13 12:03:40

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Beloved by Toni Morrison

I know you said no sci fi but can I suggest Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

And don't forget to use the local library.

And yes I agree with busybee You are a fab aunt your niece is extremely lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now