To whoever recommended The Gone-Away World - it was brilliant, what else would you recommend?

(5 Posts)
Astr0naut Wed 28-Aug-13 08:42:27

my holiday read s were: gone girl, wool, the secret history and song of achilles. All quite different to each other, but all gripping in their own way and easy to read, even when mithered.

Astr0naut Wed 28-Aug-13 08:02:23

May have been me. I tend to recommend it a lot! I liked Angel maker, but not as much.

Right. transitions, iain banks. American gods, Neil gaiman. For out and out fantasy, joe amercrombie ha s a slightly ironic take on the genre, try the blade itself trilogy.

I'll have more of a think after I've got the small ones occupied.

I loved Gone Away World and enjoyed Angelmaker too.

archfiend Tue 27-Aug-13 22:21:14

Don't know if it was me but I have definitely recommended it on here!

Have recently been reading Rook by Daniel O'Malley, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Ocean at the end of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Also Mr Penumbras 24 hour bookstore. Would also recommend Tom Robbins, specifically Jitterbug Perfume and Still Life with Woodpecker.

All books I have read or re-read recently and really enjoyed.

Hope that helps! smile

Spikeinhiscoat Tue 20-Aug-13 18:19:46

I can't remember what thread it was on, but someone mentioned in passing that they had just finished it. I thought it sounded an interesting title, looked it up and bought it. I don't read as quickly as I used to (constant interruptions of two dc), but I devoured it. I checked kindle to see what else the author had written (Nick Harkaway), and got Edie Investigates, and Angelmaker, and loved them too. Thank you for putting me on to a new author, who else would you recommend? I read quite widely, so it doesn't have to be the same genre (and I'm not really sure how to classify them anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now