What MrsRobertDuvall read on her hols last week.....

(42 Posts)
Mrsrobertduvall Tue 20-Aug-13 14:12:28

Nearest thing to Crazy...Elizabeth Forbes (average gas lighting type thriller)
One step two far...Tina Seskis (woman disappears from her marriage, hiding secret...again average)
Linda Lovelace ...Ordeal (disturbing autobiography of a manipulated woman)
The Other Typist...superb
The Safest place..Suzanne Bugler..enjoyed this...family move to country away from London, but husband commutes daily.
The son in law...Charity Norman (loved this...son in law comes out of prison after killing wife)
Waiting for Wednesday..Nikki French ( good thriller, 3rd in Friedan Klein series)

racingheart Sun 25-Aug-13 00:04:58

Holiday reading:

100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window - loved this

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes - fun, interesting, light read.

Hey Nostradamus! - loved this so much. Wanted to stay with all the characters and know more.

Also read first Simon Serailler novel by Susan Hill which started well but got dull.

mignonette Sat 24-Aug-13 21:22:43

The perfect name I think. I see Patricia Cornwell has finally green lighted a movie adaption of her novels.

JennySense Sat 24-Aug-13 19:08:15

Yep I'm very surprised it hasn't been picked up to be honest - I also spend an inordinate amount of time wondering whether Karin Slaughter is just the best name ever for a crime writer...

mignonette Sat 24-Aug-13 16:19:31

I've read all of them Jenny although I read 'Blindsight' and 'Kisscut' in the wrong order. Yes Sara is a bit sanctimonious but Karin Slaughter does keep piling on the agony for Lena doesn't she? Yes I agree Will Trent/Angie are a bit improbable. I liked Hank, Lena's uncle and thought his character was very well drawn and believable.

Would make a great TV series with its Deep South setting. Think yuo'd enjoy the crime novels of M K Kerley, Alex Kava, Lisa Gardner (set in Georgia too) and Tess Gerritsen. They are all US based, most in the South which seems to suit the brooding, 'dog days of Summer' murder and mayhem!

JennySense Sat 24-Aug-13 13:21:39

Mignon I love Lena blush it's Sara I find really irritating, and sometimes I think Will is a bit improbable...
Have you read Triptych? I think that's my favorite in the whole series smile

mignonette Sat 24-Aug-13 07:58:32

Clawdy I read an excerpt of 'A Tree Grows In Brooklyn' at my Fathers funeral. He gave me the book when I was about thirteen (about the only loving thing he did do smile).

Jenny I have just started 'UNseen'. i am wondering though, how much more drama the Lena character can cope w/ before she jumps off a bridge.

For all those who enjoyed 'Heft', try 'The Middlesteins' . I liked this.

Back2Two Fri 23-Aug-13 23:30:17

I've just bought Heft for kindle for my next read

Just read The Light between oceans (really enjoyed this)
Pilgrimage of Harold fry (loved it)
One step too far (thought it was a bit crap but it kept me interested)
Seating arrangements (ok)
Wonder (cheesy in places but I really liked it and it's a quick read)

JennySense Fri 23-Aug-13 23:21:34

A strange mix for me:
One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley Carol Ann Lee - definitive book
Wish I Was There - I Was the Golden Girl of British Cinema...Then My Life Fell to Pieces. This is My Story Emily Lloyd - honest account of mental illness in the celebrity spotlight
Unseen (Will Trent / Atlanta Series) Karin Slaughter - love this series
Back Story David Mitchell - much as you'd expect
Sleb Andrew Holmes - not sure
The Magpies: A Psychological Thriller by Mark Edwards - didn't spot the twist
A Storm of Swords, 2: Blood and Gold - rereading all the GoT books at the mo

Clawdy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:25:57

mignonette I thought I was the only person who loved A Tree Grows In Brooklyn! It was out of print for ages, but available now.

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 21:32:33

My pleasure. I love talking books and reading something recommended to me adds to the enjoyment. MN is the Worlds largest book club!

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 23-Aug-13 20:42:29

mignonette Oh, I am so glad you are getting it. And I got many good recommendations from your lists. Thanks for sharing those links.

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 17:04:57

Scone Thank you for that. I have ordered it and when I clicked on 'add to cart' a message flashed up telling me I had already put it in a save for later list quite a few weeks ago. So am delighted. I am looking forward to reading this. I have read a lot of Appalachian trail/Walk across the USA books and am always looking for more especially set in the Deep South and Fla. Not many cover Fla although I think Martin Fletcher did once.

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 23-Aug-13 16:53:56

that one about the light house is ace

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 23-Aug-13 16:48:34

mignonette Based on your travel book pins, you might appreciate this somewhat obscure book, Gib's Odyssey, about a man from Key West (who was a good friend of my husband) who went on a solitary boat journey up the Intracoastal waterway from Key West to New York and back shortly before he died of ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease.

atravelerslibrary.com/2011/06/22/intracoastal-waterway/

mignonette Thu 22-Aug-13 15:55:03

I didn't really enjoy 'Gone Girl' either Lizzy. Had a mega Amazon fest after reading this thread and spent far too much.

Lizzylou Thu 22-Aug-13 15:47:13

Agree about Perks of being a Wallflower, ending very disappointing.

Ten things I learnt about love - OKish
Into the Darkest Corner - disappointing
Where'd you go Bernadette - loved it, ending not great
Silver Linings Playbook - easy to read
The Detectives Daughter - OK
A Kind of Vanishing - weird, first half of book great, second half disjointed and just bad.
Unlikely Prigrimage - really enjoyed
Gone Girl - not that great

Currently halfway through The Thirteenth tale and really enjoying it.
Have Beautiful Ruins and Wolf Hall to go next.

mignonette Wed 21-Aug-13 15:09:43

I do hover a little bit Biblio....

bibliomania Wed 21-Aug-13 14:28:18

You're a better person that I am, mignonette. I occasionally lend books but hover so anxiously over the lendee until they're returned that most people decline the favour.

I read mainly library books and send non-loved volumes to the charity shop, so the books I do have are ones I hate to part with.

mignonette Wed 21-Aug-13 13:02:58

Biblio I lend loads of books out, one of the main reasons for buying them as opposed to putting them on my Kindle. I do love my books and have shelving full of them lining most rooms in my house (crazed book owner emoticon)......

I need new presbyopia Px for my glasses as got a new pair last week and they do not work {Specsavers bloody useless) so finding reading a bit challenging at the moment sad...Just ordered 'The Longing of Wayward Girls', 'The Boy Kings of Texas' and 'Eight Girls Taking Pictures' from Amazon.

bibliomania Wed 21-Aug-13 12:51:20

Oh mignonette, I need to move closer to you so I can borrow from your bookshelf <crazed book stalker emoticon]

Have only been for a few days away on a campsite, and lack of electricity meant I read less than usual.

Feenie Tue 20-Aug-13 21:52:05

Marian Keyes tweeted just now about 'The Fault in our Stars', what a strange coincidence!

I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower in Greece last year. I really liked it until the end, which I thought was ridiculous (the 'revelation' bit - trying not to do a spoiler).

I've just read this which was excellent
This which was okay.
This which was really good.
Am having a non-fiction moment!

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 20-Aug-13 19:45:52
mignonette Tue 20-Aug-13 19:44:00

I have Big Brother on my Kindle (which DH has commandeered) and just heard that 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' is to be made into a film. I loved that book. Will be interesting to see who they cast....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now