If I love a period novel...

(44 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 19-Aug-13 18:42:28

such as Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights, what else will I enjoy? What are Tue must read ones? smile

birdybear Mon 26-Aug-13 21:45:32

Anything by georgette heyer!

Hardy is perfect for bookish 14 year olds, and appalling for grown women.

MarianForrester Mon 26-Aug-13 21:50:37

That's me told.

Sorry Marian. I loved him as a teen but he just annoys me now. I do feel sad that I'll never get that intensity of emotion from him again that I did when first reading him, but I just want to slap everybody in his books whenever I try to re-read them now.

Especially Susan.

sarahtigh Mon 26-Aug-13 22:01:52

Georgette heyer there are some threads here last one was sylvester

MarianForrester Mon 26-Aug-13 22:15:16

Maybe I just want to recapture my 14 year old self smile

I WISH I'd known about The Bell Jar when I was 14 - I'd have bloomin' loved it.

smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 26-Aug-13 22:17:36

Oh wow some fab suggestions here, thank you all smile

I suppose what I love the most is just the way of life back then. How simple and easy it was. Well, not easy but ykwim. No mobile phones, cars, central heating. I love the vocabulary and just the general way of life. How jovial the children are playing mindless games that teenagers these days wouldn't be seen dead playing.

I do love a strong female lead. P&P is my all time fave - so far anyway. grin And i love Mr Darcy. The arrogance, the pride. So misunderstood!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 26-Aug-13 22:19:14

And it's so nice to come to this thread to take my mind off Pet Sematary that I am 90% of the way through and have foolishly read at bedtime grin

JeanPaget Mon 26-Aug-13 22:31:23

I love Gaskell. North and South is fantastic - good strong female lead. Wives and daughters is also great, although Mrs Gaskell died before finishing it (which came as a bit of a shock when I first read it!)

YY to Georgette Heyer if you're after something slightly lighter - Venetia and Frederica are the ones I'd recommend to start out with.

Anna Karenina is one of my favourite books.

ZaraW Tue 27-Aug-13 11:16:36

D H Lawrence is one of my favourite authors.

paperlantern Fri 30-Aug-13 18:19:41

second lady Audleys secret, wilkie Collins (moonstone, woman in white), austin, Jane Eyre. maybe some sherlock Holmes.

going down the more gothic route dracula and frankenstien

Charles dickens I think is a little less accessible and requires more concentration

This is a cozy Victorian murder with almost pastiche parody of various period novels. Might enjoy?

Tiredemma Wed 04-Sep-13 16:58:22

I loved Sarah Walters Fingersmith and Affinity

Lady Audleys Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddock. Tip top.

craftycottontail Mon 09-Sep-13 10:04:03

sorry I'm replying a few days late but no one has mentioned Howards End by EM Forster and I think you'd love it smile

Mhw02 Wed 11-Sep-13 17:13:53

I had to read Thomas Hardy for CSYS English. (Tess of the D'Urbervilles, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and Far From the Madding Crowd). I'm not a fan. The general consensus in our class of 16 year olds was that the characters were all a bit dull and pathetic and needed a good shake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now