Robin Hobb appreciation thread

(10 Posts)
OryxCrake Sun 18-Aug-13 00:22:20

I love the Assassin, Liveships and Fool trilogies. The Rain Wilds ones are okay but I've only read the first two.

Agree that the Soldier Son trilogy is awful but I ploughed through in the hope that it would improve. Nope.

It would be amazing if she's writing another Fitz/Fool trilogy. Wow.

Yes, I think her other name is Megan Lindholm, but I haven't read any of those. Apparently the books are quite different.

It's been a while since I read the trilogies and I was utterly immersed in them at the time - I hope I don't also find them less good when I revisit them, nooka... that would be such a disappointment!

nooka Sat 17-Aug-13 23:54:17

I really enjoyed The Liveship books the first couple of times, but re-read them recently and wasn't very impressed, in fact I culled them from my bookcases (have to make room for new books!). Thought the Fool series was good enough, can't remember the Assassins set but the two most recent series were very pot boilerish.

Elsiequadrille Sat 17-Aug-13 23:41:30

Megan something I think is the other name <unhelpful> I haven't tried them.

Elsiequadrille Sat 17-Aug-13 23:40:46

That would be brilliant.

I found Soldier Son rubbish also (wasted much time completing the books anyway, just to see if they improved...they didn't).

I was fortunate to get a signed Robin Hobb book, but I didn't meet her, it was one of those left over from when she had visited the store for a book signing blush

BoozyBear Sat 17-Aug-13 23:35:47

i didnt bother with soldier son, and i'm struggling with the rain wilds books tbh.

I started with the Liveship books, and fell in love with her writing.

i believe she's written under another name too, but i cant remember it off hand.

NoHank Sat 17-Aug-13 22:40:54

X post. Really? That would be brilliant

NoHank Sat 17-Aug-13 22:39:31

And I also sobbed many times.

Nighteyes, the fool in the ice chamber, and the relationship between the fool and the fitz is so touching when the Fitz finally gets it

pongping Sat 17-Aug-13 22:39:01

Word is she's writing another Fool/Fitz series.

I really hope it's not too long. It's my favourite fictional relationship.

NoHank Sat 17-Aug-13 22:35:37

Me! I'm on the other thread and came here looking for a thread on Robin Hobb
I totally agree with everything you said. Scarily so, are you me grin
I couldn't finish Soldiers son, I thought it was rubbish. But I love assassin, liveships, fool books. The fool is such a beautifully written and complex character.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 17-Aug-13 20:33:43

I noticed on a GOT thread that there were an awful lot of people recommending Robin Hobb as a decent fantasy author - I've read the important ones - Assassins trilogy, Liveship and Golden Fool trilogies and tried to read the Rain Wilds ones but I couldn't finish them and couldn't finish the Soldier Son as just wasn't up to her usual standard.

Anyway just thought Id start a thread for an RH lovers to come and talk about the magic that are her books - I don't like the most recent ones and I don't know how she will ever top the three trilogies as above. Or how she would ever write a character to top the Fool, who is my favourite literary character - cant say too much in case of spoilers but at times reading her books I just sobbed. I love the way she develops characters, nobody is ever solely good or evil but the Fool is something else altogether. I also love the way the Fitz/Liveship trilogies interlink with each other and each time I read them I see something different in them.

Anyone else love her books too? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now