Which Dickens?

(17 Posts)
ChaosWalking Wed 14-Aug-13 18:24:47

Having never read any Charles Dickens novels I want to try one this summer. Which would you recommend I start with?

ninjanurse Wed 14-Aug-13 18:43:04

I read Oliver Twist and found it quite easy to read and not too long.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Wed 14-Aug-13 20:00:53

Great Expectations is also not too long, it's as good as Oliver Twist imo.

David Copperfield is also a good read, as is The Old Curiosity Shop.

Lucky you, discovering Dickens for the first time, he's a great author.

englishteacher78 Wed 14-Aug-13 20:04:39

My favourite is Bleak House - but it is long.
I have a rule with 19th century literature no giving up until after Chapter 10. They can be slow to get going compared to more contemporary fiction.

It took a Tale of Two Cities to get me into Dickens; Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby were read out of a sense of duty, but T2C I actually enjoyed. My favourite is Our Mutual Friend, I think it's his most "modern" in outlook.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 14-Aug-13 20:48:51

Definitely NOT Hard Times! Hard Times it truly is...

englishteacher78 Wed 14-Aug-13 21:32:34

Our Mutual Friend is my second favourite - my lecturer at Uni wrote the intro to the penguin classics smile

ChaosWalking Wed 14-Aug-13 23:41:18

Thanks everyone! Will take a look at A Tale of two cities and Our Mutual friend, I think. Have read lots of french classics from the same period so understand the need for patience when getting started, Englishteacher!

sparkle9 Wed 14-Aug-13 23:53:10

Tale of Two Cities or David Copperfield. That's according to my DP who is academically a bit of a Dickens expert. Enjoy!

I love Great Expectations. Fabulous characters.

I love Tale of Two Cities but I wouldn't start with it personally - it took me a while to get into it (but my word it was worth it in the end!).

ChaosWalking Thu 15-Aug-13 13:06:48

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up A Tale of Two Cities from the library this morning ( along with Wuthering Heights, which I had also made a promise to read this summer.)

englishteacher78 Thu 15-Aug-13 19:26:32

Love WH. I have a huge crush on Heatchcliff.

nkf Thu 15-Aug-13 19:29:01

A Christmas Carol is short. Great Expectations is great. Bleak House is marvellous.

ithaka Thu 15-Aug-13 19:34:59

My favourites are Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House & Great Expectations, all fantastic & bear re reading as well.

I agree with Englishteacher - you have to give the classics more time, but the rewards can be great.

DangoDays Thu 15-Aug-13 19:40:26

Definitely tale of two cities. Great expectations next. Struggling with our mutual friend even though 2nd time round...tell me to keep going!

ChaosWalking Thu 15-Aug-13 21:53:54

I love classic fiction and have read a fair bit, just no Dickens as yet. My favourite book ever is The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Have read it every couple of years since I was eighteen and I get something new from it every single time.

Louise1956 Fri 16-Aug-13 13:49:33

Great Expectations is my favourite, it has very good characters and the heroine is not as insipid as in most of his novels. pickwick Papers is the funniest, there are many hilarious incidents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now