If I tell you what books I've enjoyed this year can you recommend more for me please?

(33 Posts)
shiningcadence Wed 14-Aug-13 14:44:29

Hi all,
Off on holiday in 2 weeks and looking for a load of books to take away. I get a lot of recommendations from here I have to admit - by lurking rather than posting - but nothing's really captured my interest of late. So, if I tell you what I've enjoyed this year so far could anyone recommend me some books in a similar vein please?

So, for hols I don't want anything too hard going. For this reason young adult might be a good option. In this genre I've loved the Hunger Games trilogy, the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater, The Scorpio Races also by Maggie Stiefvater and the Gone series by Michael Grant.

I like an interesting, engaging, first person narrator (but not essential), I've enjoyed the Perks of being a Wallflower, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and Mark Haddon's other one - can't think of the name.

I like humour - Bridget Jones diary and the sequel.

I've enjoyed a couple of Nicolas Sparks - The Last Song was my favourite, but some I find a little clichéd.

I'm open to 'classics' as long as they're not hard going - I loved I capture the Castle, Catcher in the Rye and Wuthering Heights - though the last probably a bit 'dark' for a holiday read (I want something quite light but still with meaning and emotion if that makes sense).

Recently I've also loved reading The Help, The 100 year old man and The Radleys by Matt Haig.

I love Kazuo Ishiguro and Khaled Hosseini.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

TIA flowers

TWavre Thu 15-Aug-13 22:40:48

Haven't read all the replies do sorry if this has already been mentioned!
If you liked the hunger games I can recommend Enders Game & all the sequels.
Would also recommend When God Was a Rabbit.

Cloudminnow Fri 16-Aug-13 10:45:20

Here are my suggestions for easygoing, enjoyable holiday reads:

Black Swan Green - David Mitchell (teenager growing up in 1980s Britain)

One Day - David Nicholls (modern love story set on same day from leaving Edinburgh university and beyond)

Pursuit of Happiness - Douglas Kennedy (love story set in post war New York)

The Return - Victoria Hislop (modern UK woman delves into her family's past in Spain, civil war era, but not too much actual 'war stuff')

All of the above are very quick and easy reads and from what I can remember are told in the first person...

mignonette Fri 16-Aug-13 10:51:42

Kikidee I am happy to hear that you like my board. I find it useful to keep track of what i have bought, read and want to read.

shiningcadence Fri 16-Aug-13 10:55:17

Thank you all.

Funnily enough I'd already ordered The Light Between Oceans after seeing it recommended here so looking forward to that. Thank you for the other suggestions too highlandcoo.

TWavre, no those books hadn't been suggested yet. They sound great, thanks.

Thank you cloudminnow. I loved One Day. I read another of Victoria Hislop's - think it was called The Island - and didn't really get on with it. Might give this a shot though, it does sound good. And I'll definitely have a look at the others.

Thanks again all smile

Louise1956 Fri 16-Aug-13 14:05:39

The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden is a book you might enjoy. Set in France in the 1920s, it is a lovely book, sad and funny and exciting, with very interesting character.

The Summer After the Funeral by Jane Gardam is another one you might like, about a teenage girl coping with the death of her father (who was much older than her mother), eccentric relations, first love, and other things. it has a lot of humour and delightful characters.

if you enjoyed Bridget Jones's Diary, you might like The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot. an amusing romance/mystery story told entirely in emails between the various characters.

You might also enjoy The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield, which is written in the same style as Bridget Jones, though sixty years earlier.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons is hilarious, another book you might enjoy.

have you ever tried P.G. Wodehouse? His books are great light reading, my personal favourite is The Code of the Woosters, but there are many others.

shiningcadence Fri 16-Aug-13 15:22:29

Hi Louise, Cold Comfort Farm is one I've ordered from the library so looking forward to reading that smile

I've never read P.G. Wodehouse, I'll give them a go. The others sound good too.

Thank you smile

mignonette Fri 16-Aug-13 15:30:14

Louise I love Rumer Godden so much. Her writing is magical. Thank you for reminding me.

Have you ever read Tove Janssen Shining? 'The Summer Book', 'The Winter Book' and the short story collection called 'The Listener'.

The Summer book focuses upon the relationship between a girl and ger Gran whilst holidaying on a Finnish island whilst the Winter Book is a collection of short stories and vignettes, some more formed than others.

Another book I have enjoyed recently is 'Sightlines' by Kathleen Jamie. It is a non fiction writing collection.

shiningcadence Fri 16-Aug-13 17:12:33

Thank you mignonette, no I haven't read those. They sound really interesting. I will definitely try the non fiction collection too, I tend to stick to fiction but I think it'd be nice to have a change. I studied lots of non fiction collections at uni and really enjoyed them, don't know why I stopped reading them really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now