Recommend me a good vampire/werewolf book

(40 Posts)

That has 'proper' vamps not twilight type pathetic ones!

Have to choose a book for my book group and I love sci-fi/ fantasy but most of the rest of the group doesn't usually read in those genres so I thought vamp/werewolf would be a good compromise.

I've read and liked the sookie stackhouse series and Keller armstrong's 'women of the other world' but I couldn't stand twilight or any of those that claim to be vampire fiction but are actually romance

I don't mind a bit of romance in it a lot of vamp novels have it after all just not for it o be he main point if that makes sense! Thanks

Heiderose Mon 19-Aug-13 10:54:51

Forgot to say they're werecats not werewolves!

Heiderose Mon 19-Aug-13 10:53:58

For werewolves you can't go wrong with Rachel Vincent's Faythe Sanders series. I read all of them in 4 days and was very upset that there was no more.

Rachel Vincent

Thanks smile always good to have some recommendations. I now have a nice list of books to read, now to find the time...

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 12-Aug-13 15:00:13

Hmmm. Armand.... <<dreams>>

GlobalWarning Mon 12-Aug-13 14:39:57

Definitely Anne rice and the vampire chronicles!

Skoggy Mon 12-Aug-13 14:35:34

How about the Anita Blake : Vampire Hunter series by Laural K. Hamilton?
There are 22 books now I think. I'm up to 8.
Link on Amazon

Has anybody said, 'Salem's Lot' yet?

NanetteCarter Mon 12-Aug-13 14:24:43

Perhaps should add it's not my usual thing but I read the Sookie Stackhouse too and preferred these...I realised I didn't actually sound as though I enjoy them!

NanetteCarter Mon 12-Aug-13 14:18:07

I quite enjoyed the Morganville Vampire series...I've read the first couple anyway and they were ok!

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine is the first one

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 12-Aug-13 14:12:51

Oh God! The Historian left me wanting to beat myself around the head with boredom! confused
Alice Borchardt wrote some good werewolf type books. None of this whimsycal Twilight shit!
Interestingly, she is Anne Rice's sister.
Anne Rice has recently released a new Werewolf series, and her Vampire books are great. Some are better than others, but the main ones, interview with the vampire, The Vampire Lestat etc are very good. She writes some excellently uncomfortable books. Her Mayfair Witches books come with my highest recommendation.

RabbitIssue Mon 12-Aug-13 14:08:37

I like the Kresley Cole ones, bit raunchy for bookclub though. The romance is them is a bit 'duh' but the stories behind the books and the world she creates is actually really good. Well really good for a erotic vampire story (shows low standards) grin

Moomintime Mon 12-Aug-13 14:03:00

I love the all souls harkness books too, i think it's better written than some of the vampire books, can't wait for the third, whenever that will be...

daftdame Sat 10-Aug-13 15:33:32

Thanks, interesting, I'll have to look it up. Book habit is getting a bit bad at moment though, I'm averaging 2 or 3 a week blush, summer hols......

elQuintoConyo Fri 09-Aug-13 21:25:52

Yes daftdame Neil Jordan 1984. (77% on Rotten Tomatoes, it is a GREAT film!).
The Company of Wolves is actually in a collection of short stories, 'The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories', 1979. A fantastic book, but no more wolves/vampires.

Mumbledore Fri 09-Aug-13 18:37:56

Actually, after re-reading your OP, forget my post! I thought the magic in it might appeal to you but on second thoughts....

Mumbledore Fri 09-Aug-13 18:22:16

I'm enjoying the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness, first book A Discovery of Witches, second Shadow of Night, awaiting third. It might be a bit too romancey as it's basically about forbidden love between a vampire and a witch but there's also some history and mystery which makes quite an entertaining read. Don't know if it's quite what you're after (maybe a bit twilight) but worth a mention I thought. And Dracula is a good read too.

Yes, the Pratchett is fun.

VeryDullNameChange Fri 09-Aug-13 18:15:10

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. Does require a decent knowledge of the original to really appreciate it though.

Or Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

daftdame Fri 09-Aug-13 18:10:39

elQuinto Is that the book that the 80s film was based on? Loved the film.

elQuintoConyo Fri 09-Aug-13 16:28:54

Angela Carter: The Company of Wolves.
Scary AND sexy grin

gokhuvegeta Fri 09-Aug-13 16:24:13

If you look at Amazon's top ten for occult/ horror the Shifter/ Lycan books by M.L. Briers are all in there.
The books are all self contained stories, no cliffhangers, thank god, and can be read in any spacific order.
Really roll on the floor funny, especially The Lycan the Witch and the Wardrobe and The Mating Season.
The writer has done vampire books too, and I'd recommend Runner and Hunted and both Darkness Books.
They are all under £1 and worth it. But as with all self pubs, don't expect perfect editing.

I like a good bit of magic 2kids I'll check them out, thanks.

2kidsintow Thu 08-Aug-13 21:53:38

I love, love, love the Ilona Andrews books.
There are vamps in there, but there's a bit of a twist and the books aren't centred on them.

It's a book of magic, with vamps/witches/shapeshifters/monsters.

They are funny and full of action, with one of the best heroines I've come across.

6th book released this week. I've waited with baited breath to read if for the last 2 years.

pointythings Thu 08-Aug-13 21:33:17

Tim Powers - The Stress of her Regard. Though it might be out of print.

There is an 'official' sequel to Dracula, written by one of Bram Stoker's descendents Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. Dracula: The Un-Dead It has been a few years since I read it, I think it was okay. Not brilliant, but entertaining enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now