Help me identify this scifi book

(21 Posts)
Oodelaranana Thu 01-Aug-13 22:42:24

Yes indeed, most impressive googling skills - I had tried many different key words and was still just coming up with Spider-Man!

figwit Thu 01-Aug-13 21:52:41

Excellent sleuthing! Looking forward to reading these smile

THOUGHT

Tilly I bow down, I always though my Google skills were beyond reproach but I didn't even try to Google, I thought it was too ambiguous.

Kudos.

For yours I tried a couple of things but it was 'fiction book spider like aliens' that worked.

For Dust's I think it was 'fiction book meteorite earth', something like that anyway.

Usually you just need a few key words and fiction/fiction book - but it doesn't always work!

Oodelaranana Thu 01-Aug-13 21:04:00

How on earth did you work it out if you hadn't read them! I just came up with a lot of stuff about Spider-Man when I tried google. Those are some googling skills!

Thanks again - hope you enjoy them too!

Woohoo - my googling skills are in fire tonight grin

Off to borrow both of those from the library - not what I'd usually read but they look good

Oodelaranana Thu 01-Aug-13 20:37:18

Hope you enjoy rereading eternity too dust!

smile

Oodelaranana Thu 01-Aug-13 20:36:28

Tilly! You're an absolute marvel! That is indeed the one. I've been trying to remember what it's called for ages. Thanks very much! flowers

The reviews on amazon look good so perhaps it was not my poor memory after all. I'll enjoy reading to find out smile

I recognised AHandful's one as Greg Bear, although couldn't have named which book without googling.

Don't recognise the other one though.

You're welcome dust smile <downs wine>

Just need to see if I'm 2 for 2 now!

Have just ordered Eternity. Thanks again Tilly

YES, it bloody well is, Greg Bear - of course, THANK YOU, I've been searching through my bookshelves, looking on my Amazon - couldn't find the bugger.

wine for you Tilly.

I don't know how the bugger I forgot that - have tons of Greg Bear.

dust is yours Eon?

Can't help you I'm afraid, but, whilst we're on the subject though there's a book that's been bugging me for a few days because I meant to read the sequel & I've now forgotten what it was called.

A huge meteorite is found orbiting the Earth & upon exploration it's found that it contains many habitable sections that are all abandoned, cities, farmlands, etc. Various scientists are sent up there to examine it & discover it's immensely bigger inside that it is outside, at the same time we (but not the scientists) discover that it's still inhabited but the people have moved right down the other end which is millions of miles away, the inhabitants are watching the interlopers & wondering what to do. I think then a war breaks out on earth & which spills out into the various Earth factions on the meteorite. At this point the inhabitants appear & kidnap some of the researchers. I think Earth may then be destroyed in the resulting conflict. AFAICR the inhabitants are from an alternate reality future Earth or some-such & there are portal types thingies that open at various points in the meteorite connecting to other times/places, something that wants to come in through ne of these is extremely hostile.

Some other stuff happens & it ends following a divergence in the kidnapped researchers paths as they team up with different political factions of the inhabitants, one bloke ends up leaving with the inhabitants city on some hare-brained scheme & one man and woman go back to Earth but it's far in the future after the fall that resulted from the war.

& if you bothered to read that AND know what book I'm wittering on about you will wine some justly deserved virtual wine.

PS, sorry for the thread hi-jack, I've been meaning to start one with the exact same title posing this question so seemed the sensible thing to piggy-back on yours - hope you get an answer.

TonytheFish Thu 01-Aug-13 17:34:00

Can try checking on goodreads here..

What's The Name of That Book???

or here..BookSleuth

Oodelaranana Thu 01-Aug-13 17:11:47

Thanks figwit and patchouli!

I fear it is a bit of a long shot but you never know with mumsnet...

Patchouli Wed 31-Jul-13 21:27:59

intriguing

another bump

figwit Wed 31-Jul-13 21:12:46

I don't know, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Bumping 'cos I want to know as well smile

Oodelaranana Wed 31-Jul-13 20:08:35

I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read about 20 years ago. For some reason it's stuck in my mind and I'd be interested to know if my adult self would agree with my teenage self about whether it was any good or not!

I've not got much to go on though...

I think it was a space opera type thing with the premise that the earth had died long ago but humans had been recreated on a new world. They'd been recreated by some process involving old fragments of DNa and some process where there soul was caught from echos coming from where old earth was. The reborn humans had an extended lifespan but their children were ordinary humans with a normal lifespan. There were some alien spider like species that would feed on people by a painful process where they were kept alive for a very long time but the spider would attach itself to the brain somehow.
There was some sort of love story running through it.

I can't remember anything else so I'll be amazed if anyone has a clue what I'm talking about but thought it might be worth a go grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now