Summer reading recs for Remus please

(102 Posts)

Okay, so you all know how bloody fussy I am, but it is that time again.

I'm having a bit of a classic sci-fi moment, so anything in that line would be good.

Really well written classic fantasy might work too.

Quirky history books would be great, especially anything with a criminal or medical slant.

Anything to do with Victorian or Edwardian history is usually up my street, again especially if it's slightly off the wall - prisons, graveyards, medicine, crime etc.

Anything to do with historical exploration especially polar or mountains.

Anything random you think might be worth a punt might also just be the one too.

Tia. smile

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 22:29:33

Fun fact, by the way: Oscar Wilde called himself Sebastian Melmoth after the Wanderer when exiled after his prison sentence

I'm sorry I've hijacked your thread. I get a bit overexcited by book talk blush

I will deffo give Melmoth a go, if the library can get hold of it. I don't like red wine, good or bad! grin

Love The Monk.

Haven't read any Patrick H, and indeed had never heard of him until this thread.

Don't apologise for hijacking. I also get a bit hyper re books. smile

Oscar Wilde is one of my fantasy men - love him.

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 22:33:17

Ah that lets me off the hook then grin

If you love the Monk you should get on great with dear Melmoth. I'm in love with him: it's all terribly tiresome.

Patrick Hamilton: DO read Hangover Square. The plot shamelessly lifted and, indeed, ruined, by that Sebastian Faulks cad.

Re. sci fi - what about Nevil Shute (though I daresay you've read them)? I know he's fallen vastly from favour but On The Beach is wonderful (if sad and scary).

Have read pretty much all of Shute's - but don't get Cote started on, 'On The Beach.' 'A Town Called Alice' is my favourite.

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 22:38:56

Oh dear, does she not approve?!

I'm a huge fan of Iris Murdoch (or was until I had to read ALL of them for my PhD <wan>) - but I expect you've been there and have a Firm Opinion.

Have you read Fludd, by Hilary Mantel? I'm one of those people mildly annoyed by her stratospheric rise since I was a diehard fan loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong before the proles had heard of her <sniff>

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 22:39:46

Incidentally since I suspect you're more well-read than all of us me you might have to start a 'Remus Recommends' thread grin

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Jul-13 22:41:07

I love 'A Town like Alice'. But I think my favourite is 'Round the Bend'. I remember the thread about 'On the Beach' grin

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Jul-13 22:42:27

What about some Robertson Davies? The Cornish Trilogy, The Deptford Trilogy and The Salterton Trilogy would keep you going for a while.

Loathed Fludd - and loathed Beyond Black even more. Wolf Hall annoyed me, but had the advantage of half decent characters.

I didn't get on terribly well with iris, but dp likes her.

Remus recommends -
This Thing of Darkness
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
The Worst Journey In The World
Lolita
A Handful of Dust
The Stand
The Dark Tower series
The Knife Man
A few of my favourites.

PatriciaHolm Sun 28-Jul-13 22:48:17

Philip K Dick? he wrote far more short stories than the obviously well known Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I'm a huge fan of Kate Griffin and Ben Aaronovitch, both of whom write London-based urban fantasy.

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 22:50:41

Loathed Fludd?! <clutches pearls>

You like Lolita - have you read Ada or Ardor? Nothing like as good, mind.

Blee, Dave Fucking Eggars grin

The Worst Journey in the World sound ACE. I am hopeless at reading non-fiction: that might seduce me.

Is the Dark Tower series worth the investment (both time and money)? I'm a huge King fan and The Stand is one of my favourite books, but I am slightly intimidated by the demands of reading an entire series - mostly, will they get worse in quality as they go along, like the Howatch churchy novels, which broke my heart.

Ben A is The Rivers of London guy, yep? I read the first 2 but am bored of them now.

Have read all of Nabokov's, I think.

I know, I know re. dave E - but the book is really good, honest.

The Worst Journey is amazing - but it is huge and you need to work at it.

I love the King series, but am a massive King fan generally. I think it's better than The Stand tbh - but it has high and low points and again is a huge time commitment.

They don't get worse in quality - in fact, the final one is sublime imho.

NotAroundTheEyes Sun 28-Jul-13 23:01:38

OK, the phrase 'better than The Stand' has me reaching for my Amazon account: I'm going for it (I loyally read his recent output but more out of a sense that 'I owe him' than because I'm enjoying them, which I'm sure he's really grateful for hmm

Excellent! I'll report back! thanks

smile

The first one may well feel v odd - just go with it.

HarderToKidnap Mon 29-Jul-13 16:26:05

Have you read the Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey? Amazing descriptions of Alaska.

I enjoyed Zadie Smiths NW, bit up its own bum but I'm in to London books at the mo, in the same vein I liked The Innocents by Francesca Segal.

Hyperion? If you're reading sci if classics then it must be on your list.

Have read The Snow Child.
Zadie Smith - gone off her. I quite liked her first one but the others haven't done much for me.
Will google the others, thank you.

Am about 90 pages into Dune btw.

pointythings Mon 29-Jul-13 18:28:51

Remus have you read any Sheri S Tepper? SHe's a female and feminist writer so I guess that's two strikes against, but she's written some really good stuff - specifically the 'Grass' trilogy (Grass, Raising the Stones, Sideshow).

Thanks, Pointy. I'll look her up.

Takver Wed 31-Jul-13 10:00:06

What Le Guin books have you read? They vary a lot, so eg not liking the Earthsea books wouldn't mean you wouldn't like some of her harder sci-fi. Having said that she is unquestionably a woman and a feminist writer.

CoteDAzur Wed 31-Jul-13 10:09:50

I second Harder on Hyperion. Written loosely in a Canterbury Tales format, it is the 1st person stories of 6 pilgrims grouped together in their journey. Quite a bit of poetry, references to Keats (incl. book title), and an ambitious story. It's very good.

Will try more le Guin. I think it was an Earthsea one I read. Will try Hyperion too.

Sorry Cote but I am failing horribly with Dune right now. I'm bored...bored, I tell you.

Takver Wed 31-Jul-13 13:49:01

The ones I would try in particular would be The Dispossessed, and the novella Paradises Lost (in the collection The Birthday of the World).

I do like The Left Hand of Darkness, but it feels very much of its time to me, in the same way that Woman on the Edge of Time does.

I like this review in the NY Review of Books, esp this quote "The Ekumen series may be said—very broadly—to concern itself with the nature of human nature: How far can we stretch and still remain human? What is essential to our being, what is contingent? " I guess that's what I look for in SF - something that will make me think - and Le Guin definitely fits that box. (If I want light amusement, I tend to read fantasy.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now