Library e-books - my new toy!

(23 Posts)
Lurleene Thu 25-Jul-13 21:08:05

Hi I recently bought a Nook e-reader in an attempt to cut down on my book clutter. I haven't wanted to spend much on e-books whilst I get used to using the Nook, but haven't been very inspired by the free e-books on the Nook site. But I have just discovered borrowing e-books from the library through Overdrive!

It's probably old news to most people as I am always behind the times technology wise but I can't get over the thrill of being able to borrow books for free, anytime of the day or night, without having to leave the house! You don't even need an e-reader, you can just read the books on a computer. I am shamelessly plugging this because I figure if more people use it, more books will become available.

Please will everyone of you start using this service? Thank you kindly.

cocolepew Thu 25-Jul-13 21:23:06

I only discovered this last week. I was overly very excited shock

SsimTee Thu 25-Jul-13 21:28:48

Is this available in the UK?

Lurleene Thu 25-Jul-13 21:48:40

Yes, I am UK based. I went on my local library website to renew the hard copies I'd borrowed and saw that e-books are now available. I can borrow 5 a time plus other books that are out of copyright, which don't count towards the total.( I guess those books can be downloaded elsewhere for free anyhow.)

Samu2 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:07:13

I couldn't use overdrive with the kindle as it isn't supported.

I found a complicated way around that though.

Samu2 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:10:43

Overdrive works for those with kindles in the US

I do think it supports kindle fire for UKer too though

Lurleene Thu 25-Jul-13 22:12:31

Here is a bit more info about Overdrive and how to use it, presuming you can access it through your library of course.

http://readinfo.overdrive.com/about/faq

DuchessofMalfi Fri 26-Jul-13 08:35:00

I download ebooks onto my Kobo from the library. Yes I am in UK - I use the Dorset library website.

You need the Overdrive software on your computer and then you can transfer onto your ereader.

I also borrow audio books from the library via Overdrive too, downloaded onto my i-pod. You can borrow for up to two weeks and then you are supposed to delete them, but they won't know if you keep them for a little bit longer (wouldn't want to delete half way through listening to something grin)

Bumply Fri 26-Jul-13 08:37:08

The best bit is no more fines from late return of books.

Samu2 Fri 26-Jul-13 20:06:29

Kobo is supported, but not UK kindle.

Bumply Fri 26-Jul-13 20:17:55

I use the iPhone app

kelpeed Sat 27-Jul-13 12:24:51

The bluefire app is good for adobe /pdf books,including those offered by the library.

you can sideload the files from the computer to your ithing as part of the syncing process. (save the ebook on the computer, then drag the file onto the bluefire icon on the computer sync page. then sync). a few steps, but at least you can read the pdf books.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 01-Aug-13 21:21:34

I use it sometimes with my Kobo, but can't often get books that I actually want... They just don't seem to be available, so perhaps they're not all stocked?

surfandturf Fri 02-Aug-13 15:38:47

Duchess, I use Dorset Library service too. I have a kindle and there just doesn't seem to be much available. I am a slow reader and am worried that if I haven't read a book in the time specified that it will disappear or my kindle might spontaneously combust grin

DuchessofMalfi Fri 02-Aug-13 18:23:46

Just wondering whether, if you download the book onto your ereader and then turn off the wifi it won't disappear before you've finished reading it? I assume that if your ereader isn't connected to the library's website then it can't take the book off you.

Lurleene Fri 02-Aug-13 23:32:54

I must admit (having started this thread) I have just been caught out. I was 10 pages shy of finishing my book last night and woke up this morning to find it had expired! I tried to check it out again but someone had reserved it so I couldn't. sad

DuchessofMalfi Sat 03-Aug-13 05:37:50

So frustrating angry Have you tried switching off the WiFi on your ereader? I'm quite a quick reader so get through a lengthy book in around a week normally. But I'd be livid if I hadn't finished it before it disappeared.

I suppose you could be cheeky and buy it, read the last few pages and then return it for a refund as a bought in error? Don't tell anyone I said that blush blush blush

Ooooohhhh what is the iphone app called??

This could be the answer to all of my prayers. I am constantly at the library and hunting the house for books that I need to take back.

mirai Sat 03-Aug-13 06:18:34

Would love anyone to share how they managed to get this on their Kindle! smile

DuchessofMalfi Sat 03-Aug-13 08:08:10

You can't borrow library books on the kindle in UK. The software you need specifies what you can use. I had to buy a cheap Kobo Mini so I could borrow ebooks. I also borrow audio books on my Ipod.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 03-Aug-13 08:17:31

Madamecastafiore - you can get the app here Overdrive

This is the one compatible with Dorset libraries, which I use, and which is probably used by most libraries although you would need to check with your library's website first.

Mcnorton Sat 03-Aug-13 08:21:44

I love this service too. I have done tests and even if you switch off wifi the file expires so you can't read it after expiry date. I borrow everything for 21 days to be on the safe side.
The choice of books is dictated by the publishers . Lots of publishers refuse to participate as they feel they will lose money if libraries lend them. Also, at present authors get no payments for ebook library lending like they do with print books.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 03-Aug-13 08:30:19

For those with kindles i use http://www.dailyfreebooks.co.uk/free_ebooks/latest/ which rounds up the free books from amazon every day. you get some real dross but you also get some unexpectedly good books and you can search by genre. i cant remember the last time i paid for a kindle book smile doesnt help if youre looking for a specific book to borrow though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now