About to embark on Under the Dome - Yay or Nay?

(29 Posts)
GetStuffezd Thu 25-Jul-13 19:43:17

I love SK on the whole, though there have been some shockers (Cell)
I have re-read The Stand countless times and the blurb seems to link UTD to The Stand.
What does anyone think of it?

AnotherWorld Thu 25-Jul-13 21:22:40

I loved it. I'm not really a SK fan but I thought it was really good.

Yes. It's not Booker prize material, but it's a good page-turner.

Then watch The Simpsons parody grin

edlyu Thu 25-Jul-13 21:29:54

Loved it and am waiting not very patiently for the series .

GetStuffezd Thu 25-Jul-13 21:32:21

I did note the Simpsons similarity! :-)
Off to bed now to give it a go - it's massive!

PollyPlummer Thu 25-Jul-13 21:35:29

I couldn't get in to it, love SK and he is my go to when I haven't got anything else to read.
I did have teething twins at the time, so that could be why.
Keep on meaning to give it another shot.

Didyeaye Thu 25-Jul-13 21:35:46

I'm not a huge SK fan either but really enjoyed Under the Dome. Didn't know there was going to be a series, thanks edlyu

pointythings Thu 25-Jul-13 23:07:26

Yea, definitely one of his better ones - small town America under the microscope, which SK does so very well.

andadietcoke Thu 25-Jul-13 23:10:01

I loved it, but there was one part that still haunts me years after reading it - I got a bit existential over it!!

The tv programme has just started in the states so am watching that.

LuvMyBoyz Sat 27-Jul-13 02:46:17

Readit obsessively until it was finished...loved it.

ravenAK Sat 27-Jul-13 03:22:43

Disappointing ending, I thought! Might re-read.

Bean74 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:09:19

Just finished it. Definitely had me hooked & was v fast paced but wasn't quite as good as The Stand

Rufus43 Sun 28-Jul-13 20:05:45

I didn't like the ending, but would agree that is a great small town America read. Actually I didn't like the bit just before the end, bandstand/children for those who have read it. The ending right at the very end was good

GetStuffezd Sun 28-Jul-13 20:16:44

100 pages in and I'm not really getting into it. I hate most of the characters, which is never a good sign.... I will persevere!

I like it a lot, apart from the very silly ending. The rest of it is King at his best - ie: people flung together in peculiar circumstances and the connections and confrontations within this.

superbagpuss Sun 28-Jul-13 20:25:43

its long and takes ages to get into

had to 'put it in the fridge' a few times in the middle

was glad to finish it in a good way

GetStuffezd Sun 28-Jul-13 20:45:37

So far I want to stab everyone with the surname Rennie...
Going to bed soon for an early night and no laptop to distract me from reading!

EBearhug Sun 28-Jul-13 22:11:40

Took me quite a while to get into it, but then I enjoyed it, though also not so keen on the ending.

Thurlow Wed 31-Jul-13 11:33:07

Really liked it, though I always struggle with that impending sense of doom in SK books like this - well, more of an impending sense of 'everything and everyone is going to get complete and utterly fucked'. It did take a while to really settle in, though.

11.22.63 was absolutely great, when you've decided you've recovered enough from one 1,000 brick for another one.

GetStuffezd Wed 31-Jul-13 11:35:46

I know what you mean about the doom feeling! I just feel he keeps skipping from one character to another without giving us enough time to get into that character. Result = I don't give a shit about any of them!

I'm watching the series, it's good every bastard one of the episodes ends on a cliff hanger!

I've not read the book though.

KalevalaForMePlease Wed 31-Jul-13 11:42:27

I loved it as well, that sense of impeding doom the whole way through...
TV series is being shown here (oz) atm. Have watched a few episodes and have given up. Too many changes to the characters, unfortunately.

sunnymoonbeams Fri 02-Aug-13 22:19:50

Is the TV version on in the UK? Or have I missed it!?

Bean74 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:03:08

Heard its going to be on channel 5 in the Autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now