Alice Thomas Ellis novels

(12 Posts)
Louise1956 Fri 16-Aug-13 13:44:29

I love her Home Life books, read them when they were first published and was amazed by her extraordinary life, exciting things always seemed to be happening to her. I have re read them several times since and they never fail to amuse. of her novels, my favourite is the 27th Kingdom, a very offbeat and unusual story.

highlandcoo Fri 16-Aug-13 08:42:26

deathwatch thanks for the heads-up on that set from The Book People. Have just bought all three for £4.99 smile

MrsHavisham Wed 14-Aug-13 21:16:33

Fairy Tale is good, quite odd and eerie.

Deathwatchbeetle Mon 12-Aug-13 15:49:05

My mum bought me a set from The Book People -including The Inn at the end of the world and Unexplained Laughter. Really liked them.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 12:22:00

I can't find my copy of The Inn at the Edge of the World. I sincerely hope it's in my mum's house as I would hate to have lost it. Her books are out of print now and I don't think they're that cheap to buy on-line.

addle Thu 18-Jul-13 11:10:12

I love them, very funny and bitingly unsentimental. Haven't read them for ages - heading back to my bookshelf now.

NicknameTaken Thu 18-Jul-13 11:05:34

My library has "Fairy Tale", but I seem to recall giving up on it at the first chapter or so.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 18-Jul-13 10:52:58

I love The Inn at the Edge of the World, although like stillwaters I don't normally enjoy the supernatural.

I don't think I've read any others, but will have a look in the library.

NicknameTaken Thu 18-Jul-13 10:44:00

I adored The 27th Kingdom and The Inn at the Edge of the World, but I tried a couple of others and didn't really get into them (I think the Sin Eater and the Summer House trilogy). It's been a while though, so I think I should give her another shot. I'm going to toddle off and see if I can get hold of some more of her books - thanks for the reminder!

Arabesque Wed 17-Jul-13 15:55:42

Hi

Unexplained Laughter and Birds of the Air are both brilliant in my view. Bitingly observant and witty.

Hi Arabesque
I read an article about Alice Thomas Ellis in a literary magazine I subscribe to: 'Slightly Foxed'. On the basis of that I read 'The Inn at the Edge of the World' earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I don't normally like things with a supernatural element but I thought this was very subtle. I'd like to read more of her stuff. What would you recommend? Nothing too weird! Definitely want to write her Home Life collections.

Arabesque Tue 16-Jul-13 17:22:07

I've been re reading my Home Life collections from Alice Thomas Ellis's 1980s articles for The Spectator which re-awakened my interest in her novels. I've just re-read The Sin Eater and also have copies of Birds of the Air (with a few pages missing) The 27th Kingdom, Pillars of Gold, The Other Side of the Fire and Unexplained Laughter.
Does anyone else enjoy her books as I never hear anyone talking about her in RL and she's one of my favourite all time writers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now