New Rivers of London book out soon.

(35 Posts)
MrsHavisham Mon 15-Jul-13 21:04:35

anyone else waiting for the new one? 25th July. Can't wait!

I read the first one today after reading this thread and I did enjoy it- but did it remind anyone else of Mike Carey's Frlix Castor novels- private investigator, London with supernatural elements?

I really enjoyed Mr Penumbra grin
Have you read Charlie Fletcher's trilogy about the statues? They are more YA or even children's books, but I enjoyed them and I would think they would appeal to fans of the Rivers of London series.
The info about them here

Jux Fri 09-Aug-13 21:01:13

I have to wait until May for the paperback sad

Blatherskite Fri 09-Aug-13 16:36:42

Funnily enough, I read Mr Penumbra before Broken Homes Pom smile

It felt very similar sort of book to me and I loved it. Hope you enjoy it too.

Anyone got any recommendations for me now I've finished them both?

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 09-Aug-13 16:21:44

Finished it - thought it was really good (apart from some terrible bits of bad editing).

Without giving anything away, thank heavens Toby is ok!

Roll on book 5.

Bowednotbroken Fri 09-Aug-13 05:58:31

Yes Pom - how could he?!!! When do you think that conversation happened? So frustrating having to wait for the next book now! Still thoroughly enjoyed it though, despite the ending

Jux Wed 07-Aug-13 00:55:33

I love those books and had all three. Then my brother sent the three to dd and she loves them too. Finally, dh decided that he'd give tthem a go and he really enjoyed them. That's 4 definites for the next! (But we'll wait until it comes out in pb. sad)

OO and Mr. Penumbra is only £1.39 on Kindle so I just downloaded it to make up for having finished "Broken Homes" and having nothing to read grin

I finished it today, and thoroughly enjoyed it - the characters are old friends now and it was good to catch up with them so to speak. I won't post a spoiler but OH! the ending sad sad sad How COULD he the author I mean ? arghhhhhhhhh

MrsHavisham Sun 04-Aug-13 19:36:09

just about to start that, I hope its good.

Blatherskite Sun 04-Aug-13 08:37:02

I'm just over half way through and really enjoying it. Got held up reading 'Mr Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore' which I'd highly recommend. The writing has a very similar feel.

MrsHavisham Mon 29-Jul-13 19:20:15

Just finished it, Amazing!! what an ending!!!

MrsHavisham Mon 22-Jul-13 20:53:30

Thanks Bryant, will look now.
I fancy something to keep me going till the 25thsmile

I'm so looking forward to reading this one! The first three books have done the rounds of my book club (we don't have set books). It's interesting that the British people seem to love them but the Americans don't seem to get them at all. It seems there are a fair number of references that are obvious to us that our American friends miss, so it doesn't have the same appeal to them. Of course, that's only three people so it may just be them!

Nivet Sun 21-Jul-13 15:38:42

If you like these have you tried Christopher Fowler's Bryant & May detective series? I'd highly recommend them.

NicknameTaken Thu 18-Jul-13 09:38:23

Fair enough! I like his take on race, though - always noticing it but relaxed about it. DD is mixed race, so in a way it feels like a peek through her future eyes.

I just got tired of his voice - He's immature, silly and obsessed by sex. I spend all day around teenage boys, so I don't want so-called adult males in books to sound like my Year Tens (much as I love my Yr 10!)! smile

BaconAndAvocado Wed 17-Jul-13 11:30:59

Thanks, one to add to my mahoosively tall pile of books to read!!

hardbeingme Wed 17-Jul-13 09:24:46

oh thats funny i just ordered the three books off the book people for a fiver as the synopsis sounded good -looking forward to starting them even more now!

NicknameTaken Wed 17-Jul-13 09:20:12

What annoys you about him, Remus? I find the narrator's voice one of the major charms.

That said, I did find the third book dragged a bit, but series often have their ups and downs, so I'm willing to give this one a shot.

I've given up on them. I thought they got very wearing - and the lead character really, really irritates me.

NicknameTaken Tue 16-Jul-13 16:10:47

Thanks for the tip - have reserved a copy at my local library.

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 16-Jul-13 15:04:52

Been in my Amazon basket awaiting the happy day for a while now. Love 'em.

Eyesunderarock Tue 16-Jul-13 10:35:02

Me, wonderful books and a very interesting and original idea.
Which after 40+years reading fantasy is a delight. grin

Ooh - thanks! I love those books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now