Wool - anyone reading/read/waiting for book 3?

(12 Posts)
Trills Mon 08-Jul-13 19:51:29

Big poster at the train station said "next Hunger Games". Except without being focused on teenagers, or having a love triangle, or "games".

So basically they just meant "post-apocalyptic, and good".

It is that.

I liked Wool but loved Shift. Really looking forward to Dust.

There is a sort of love triangle in Shift.

Trills Mon 08-Jul-13 19:56:45

I got a bit frustrated with parts of Shift because it gave me dates and I had no idea how they related to the events of Wool. But not in a bad way, just in a "I want to know more!" way. I enjoy books that have multiple threads.

mizu Tue 09-Jul-13 21:26:53

I have nearly finished Shift and love it.

Same as Threebeeonegee, liked Wool but loved Shift.

Can't wait for Dust - November I think but need something similarish to read in the meantime. Love how it all connects.

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 16:18:30

Does anyone have any other post-apocalyptic recommendations?

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Jul-13 16:38:40

Is Shift significantly better than Wool?

I didn't like Wool that much. It just didn't make much sense at all.

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 16:41:03

In general if you don't like a book I don't recommend reading the sequel. (sorry)

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Jul-13 16:46:55

You are right. I wouldn't, normally, but got encouraged by the posts here that say they liked Wool but loved Shift.

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 16:48:38

I think you can move from like to love, but it's much rarer to move from dislike to like.

If you want something sort of postapocalyptic (but this is much more scifi-ish, more not-normal things happening) have you read the Gone series by Michael Grant? They get a bit silly but I enjoyed them. They are YA, but the kind that is still readable even if you are just an A and not so Y any more.

CoteDAzur Sat 13-Jul-13 07:48:24

I love good sci-fi but don't think will get along with YA. Thank you for the recommendation, though.

If you are looking for post-apocalyptic, last of the six stories in Cloud Atlas is a very good post-apoc story. And the one before it is a very good dystopian story. Iirc, they would work well as standalone stories, as well.

Trills Sat 13-Jul-13 10:41:30

An Orison of Sonmi 451 was my favourite of the Cloud Atalas stories.

Sloosha's Crossing (if that's right) was my least favourite (even though it was very Chrysalids, which I love) - I hate reading stuff that is written in dialect. I don't mind characters in different situations having different vocabulary, but when they are saying "real words" just write down the word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now