Is there anyone else on here who didn't love The Book Thief?

(265 Posts)
TunipTheVegedude Sun 07-Jul-13 20:54:58

I was told to persevere with it and I'm now 63% through and it's annoying me more than ever.
I'm finding it pretentious and dull and while some of the characters are fine, the girl is totally unconvincing - she reads like someone has sat down and decided on some interesting characteristics to give her ('I know! I'll make her good at fighting and football!') rather than the character growing naturally.
Is it going to get better in the last 37%?

Another one who disliked and didn't finish the book theif.
I would like the wine and butter beans and ouzo if anyone is offering.
Ramadhan has started here - and everywhere else I suppose.
It's as dull as a dull thing.

Colyngbourne Thu 11-Jul-13 07:46:47

I really disliked The Book Thief - over-written and sentimental, esp. Death. Everyone I knew thought the opposite. (This also happened with Year of Wonders.)

Dislike The Kite Runner similarly.

Yes to BR Collins (The Traitor Game is very good indeed), and to Unwind (a sequel is due any month now), and to Higson.

I'm afraid I dislike The Hunger Games but particularly the last book. The Knife of .... starts out well, but loses itself along the way and I thought the last book was a failure.

Have a great time Hulls. I remember you broke down on the way last year.

<sounds like a stalker>

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:33:28

And no one cares if you're an odd shape and sit in the sea with your beer.

The epitome of good living

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:30:56

The best bit is they don't care about kids getting your jugs of wine for you...

so civilised

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:30:30

hate feta

but yy to the rest

envy

Giant butter beans
Greek salad
Aubergine dip
Lemon Fanta
Greek pizza with piles of feta
Little pumpkin or courgette fritters

So jealous...

greenhill Wed 10-Jul-13 22:22:46

"Except wine and ouzo "... feta, genuinely ripe tomatoes, fresh herbs, baklava etc etc <stomach rumbles>

Mintyy Wed 10-Jul-13 22:21:27

One of these days I'm going to grill you about Greece Hully.

But meanwhile, bon voyage wine

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:17:33

It's purely economic kindness. There is nothing in it for me. Except wine and ouzo.

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 22:12:23

Ohhhhh enjoy.

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:01:59

I'm going to Greece to sit in th es ea a lot and drink enough wine to obviate the crushing austerity <selfless>

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 21:58:48

<<peaked interest>>
Hully where are you going?

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 21:55:33

Mostly done, am now drinking a lot and arguing with dh which is how we start every sojourn. Stradition.

Mintyy Wed 10-Jul-13 21:52:27

<admires Hully's ability to casually mumsnet just prior to setting sail on months of foreign travel>

Haven't you got packing or organising or fridge emptying to do?

And again, Hully.

smile

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 21:42:08

Hear hear Hully.

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 21:39:19

there is a very good book about bipolar , something like My bipolar family ??

Do stop "joking" boffy

and do stop being all snippy Cote

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 20:45:59

Thanks for the mental health recommendations, will add them to my huge lists of various obsessions.

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 18:19:47

Ah, my apologies. When you said that you had neither read nor watched it, I thought you might like to know that the book differs in emphasis. I was referring to the book when I brought it up, on this thread about books.

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Jul-13 18:15:54

I wasn't dismissing the book. I was pointing out that the film is romantic comedy, as a reply to mixedmama.

Unless you're "joking" again, in which case Ha Ha wink

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:07:04

ooh that's bizarre! It posted my half written post. V strange confused

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:06:32

If you're interested in Mental Health, never, ever, EVER buy a book called Bipolar, Me? by John Barrett. It's a poorly written autobiography by someone who is an utter dickhead.

An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison, however, is brilliant.

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:04:59

If you're interested in Mental Health, never, ever, EVER buy a book called Bipolar, Me? by John Barrett. It's a poorly written autobiography by someone who is an utter dickhead.

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 17:52:38

I was reiterating my point that that is not a reason to dismiss the book, although I suspect it would not be your cup of tea anyway, Cote. Still, if we all liked the same things, the world would be a duller place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now