Is there anyone else on here who didn't love The Book Thief?

(265 Posts)
TunipTheVegedude Sun 07-Jul-13 20:54:58

I was told to persevere with it and I'm now 63% through and it's annoying me more than ever.
I'm finding it pretentious and dull and while some of the characters are fine, the girl is totally unconvincing - she reads like someone has sat down and decided on some interesting characteristics to give her ('I know! I'll make her good at fighting and football!') rather than the character growing naturally.
Is it going to get better in the last 37%?

You are all far too clever for me.

Interesting what Sauce said up thread, that 2 years of no sleep had addled her brain.

I think lack of sleep and too much wine have prevented me from having an intelligent debate about why I like or dislike a book.

But glad to hear I am not alone in not getting past the first chapter of The Book Thief.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 09-Jul-13 10:11:26

I've just bought that horrible book Hully. Couldn't stop myself.
Am I going to wish I hadn't?

TunipTheVegedude Tue 09-Jul-13 11:24:39

OK. 20% into it. It's very well written.

Hullygully Tue 09-Jul-13 13:21:01

I'm saying nowt

Exit I genuinely think so. I get worried how deteriorated my brain power is. I'm sure I used to be brighter. I read these threads to challenge myself!

I couldn't get along with Sophie's Choice. Thought it was twaddle. But that was years ago and pre kids. If probably love it now.

Sophie's World I was thinking of.

<resigns from thread in shame>

hackmum Tue 09-Jul-13 17:23:47

Tunip: "Hackmum, do you know Joan Smith's essay in Misogynies about Sophie's Choice? She makes the same point."

I have read Misogynies, but it was years ago, and I can't remember! I shall dig it out and find that one.

Hullygully Tue 09-Jul-13 17:30:07

I can't remember any details about Misogynies either, just that they are Bad

I quite like Kevin B. At least he's got a few original thoughts in his head (unlike Suzanne Collins) and doesn't think that lurve is everything (unlike Suzanne Collins, Stephanie I'm putting feminism back three centuries Myers and Malorie Blackman.

Clawdy Tue 09-Jul-13 18:05:41

I really liked The Book Thief. I really hated A Thousand Splendid Suns. Is that odd,then??

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 10:55:49

I didn't think Silver Linings was rom-com. I have only seem the film. I thought it was a great take on mental health (I have a bizarre fascination with mental health).

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Jul-13 13:28:29

Well, IMDB and Wikipedia call it Romantic Comedy Drama.

If you are interested in mental health, I would recommend The Atrocity Exhibition by J G Ballard and Umbrella by Will Self.

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 13:40:33

Yes, that's how the film is classified. I wouldn't call the novel genre fiction in that way though?

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Jul-13 16:21:15

mixedmama has only seen the film so we can safely assume that she was talking about the film, not the book.

This is an interesting read:Madness
And of course, The Woman In White, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are obvious superb reads.

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 17:52:38

I was reiterating my point that that is not a reason to dismiss the book, although I suspect it would not be your cup of tea anyway, Cote. Still, if we all liked the same things, the world would be a duller place.

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:04:59

If you're interested in Mental Health, never, ever, EVER buy a book called Bipolar, Me? by John Barrett. It's a poorly written autobiography by someone who is an utter dickhead.

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:06:32

If you're interested in Mental Health, never, ever, EVER buy a book called Bipolar, Me? by John Barrett. It's a poorly written autobiography by someone who is an utter dickhead.

An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison, however, is brilliant.

nenevomito Wed 10-Jul-13 18:07:04

ooh that's bizarre! It posted my half written post. V strange confused

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Jul-13 18:15:54

I wasn't dismissing the book. I was pointing out that the film is romantic comedy, as a reply to mixedmama.

Unless you're "joking" again, in which case Ha Ha wink

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 18:19:47

Ah, my apologies. When you said that you had neither read nor watched it, I thought you might like to know that the book differs in emphasis. I was referring to the book when I brought it up, on this thread about books.

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 20:45:59

Thanks for the mental health recommendations, will add them to my huge lists of various obsessions.

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 21:39:19

there is a very good book about bipolar , something like My bipolar family ??

Do stop "joking" boffy

and do stop being all snippy Cote

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 21:42:08

Hear hear Hully.

And again, Hully.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now