EliotNess Fri 05-Jul-13 18:35:13

but far more cerebral and not so bloody annoying at the end

I really recommend it - I was gripped

louloutheshamed Mon 12-Aug-13 20:58:14

spoiler

I think upside down is on reference
To the trial. If it had been a rape
Trial then George behaving monstrously would have worked
In her favour, whereas in a murder trial it worked against her as a motive. She makes the point that as
Someone accused of
Murder she was treated he same as the victim in a rape trial would have been. I was shocked at what the character Kevin said about the defence lawyers in a rape trial-
All the dirt Digging etc.

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 12-Aug-13 21:15:35

Thanks loulou, that makes sense. I kept thinking that there was going to be some massive twist at the end. Agree with others that the second half was better than the first, but have to say that i didn't find Yvonne a like able character, and also didn't feel that hers and guys marriage was very credible.

BabeRuthless Tue 13-Aug-13 07:00:13

Anyone who enjoyed this might also like Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach. Read both back to back while on holiday.

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 18-Aug-13 13:08:22

So I bought that kiss me first. What utter shit

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 18-Aug-13 13:09:03

There was a massive twist at the end of apple tree

louloutheshamed Sun 18-Aug-13 21:16:40

Yeah there was. Is kiss me first no good?? I've just bought it too.

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 19-Aug-13 18:15:53

No. Shit.

BabeRuthless Tue 20-Aug-13 07:16:00

I really liked it

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 20-Aug-13 08:29:06

I liked the idea bit couldn't see the point. In the end shed have to stop being the person surely

BabeRuthless Fri 23-Aug-13 11:43:21

In the book the idea is that she'd lessen contact gradually to the point where she wouldn't have to be in contact at all. Impractical but then the narrator wasn't exactly the most worldly wise of people.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Aug-13 11:55:38

Ooh thanks
I just finished the where'd you go Bernadette Sept's MN book club and am finishing a sad one for RL book club but then will add to kindle as LOVED Gone Girl
and yy agree was ANNOYING at the end.

Feenie Sat 24-Aug-13 18:22:28

Just finished Kiss Me First, I thought it was v good. I agree with you, BabeRuthless - her character was so lacking in emotional intelligence that she wouldn't necessarily have considered practicalities.

katatonic Thu 05-Sep-13 16:42:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stokey Fri 06-Sep-13 15:59:11

I just read One Step Too Far - Tina Serkis, reminiscent of these too but i liked better than Appletree Yard.

GeorginaWorsley Fri 06-Sep-13 23:09:30

Amreading this at the moment and quite enjoying it.
Got the Tina Serkis one on kindle but not read yet

SiouxieSioux Sat 28-Dec-13 22:54:16

Yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now