If I like Inspectors Lynley, Dalgliesh and Wexford

(34 Posts)
BestIsWest Sun 30-Jun-13 21:05:08

What else will I like?

BestIsWest Sun 21-Jul-13 18:09:30

I'm reading the first Jimmy Perez book. (Ann Cleeves). Really good so far. Just what I was looking for.

I can highly recommend The Cuckoo's Calling too.

edam Sun 21-Jul-13 15:52:07

drat, it's not new, just new in paperback. Have already read it on my kindle!

edam Sun 21-Jul-13 15:45:46

Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway stories have been a real find for me and a friend of mine who also likes Wexford. And thank you very much, OP, have just discovered there is a new one!

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 21-Jul-13 15:40:28

Old classics

Sherlock Holmes, of courses
Someone else has mentioned Wimsey
Edmund Crispin
Margery Allingham
Josephine Tey

Frances Fyfield
MC Beaton

efeslight Thu 18-Jul-13 21:49:51

Another vote for Dorothy Simpson, quite traditional style, feels like half way between Agatha Christie/P D James...ish
Went through a long period of reading/re-reading Ngaio Marsh, a New Zealand writer, but seems to aged quite badly, written in the 50s I think

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 18-Jul-13 15:37:32

I'd forgotten about those! I thought there was another series but couldn't for the life of me think what they were.

I've read most of the Fethering lot as the Book People had the first 10 for £10. II've read a couple of the Paris and Pargeter ones many, many moons ago but not in any sort of order. I'll have to keep an eye ut on BP in case they come up.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 14:22:56

Oh yes, I read one of those and enjoyed it.

He also writes a series about a racier Miss Marple type called Mrs Pargeter. Some of them are a bit comic bookish but 'Mrs Presumed Dead' and 'A Nice Class of Corpse' are excellent.

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 18-Jul-13 13:36:52

Not Fethering, but there's a series about an actor-come-detective called Charles Paris. Not read them for years, but I did like them and would love to get hold of them again.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 13:32:21

Are there two Fethering series?
I've only read the one with Carole and Jude.
What are the other ones called?

MissFenella Thu 18-Jul-13 13:15:29

Lord Peter Wimsey?
Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 18-Jul-13 13:12:24

I was going to suggest Simon Brett. Both the Fethering series and the ones about an actor.

Also Quintin Jardine's Skinner series. Set in Edinburgh. Book 1 Chapter 1 is gory, but don't give up if that's not what you're after as it does calm down very quickly.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 12:45:47

You might also like Simon Brett's Fethering series about two amateur female detectives in a coastal town. One of them is retired from the Home Office and seems to have had a job similar to PD James.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 12:24:47

I was also going to recommend Dorothy Simpson's Inspector Thanet. I'm not sure if they're still being printed but would be available on Amazon. They're set in a small country town with an Inspector, his side kick and lots of detail about his family life as well as the crime he's solving. Most of the stories would be set in the 80s and 90s I think and I still re-read them occasionally.

BestIsWest Wed 17-Jul-13 17:24:55

I'm reading The Cuckoo's calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JKR). Very enjoyable so far.
I've downloaded samples of lots of the above onto my kindle.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 11-Jul-13 22:32:18

I just finished the first Shetland book and am now into the second. I now have another favorite Scottish detective in Jimmy Perez.

New Lynley, Wexford, and Rebus all due out in a few months. smile

WheresTheHoneyMummy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:15:13

Try Dorothy Simpson's Inspector Thanet series, they remind me of the Wexford books.

hardbeingme Wed 10-Jul-13 18:13:17

oh and stuart macbride

(its my favourite section of the library)

hardbeingme Wed 10-Jul-13 18:10:18

i love mark billingham's tom thorne, (i think i have crush blush)

i like the jack frost novels, there have been prequels written which are just as good as the originals

Simon kernick is very good as is val mcdermid and mo hayder, susan hill too.

Do you like american detectives? micheal connelly and John connelly (no relation!) are both excellent although John's have a brush of the supernatural still well written suspense.

froggiebabies Wed 10-Jul-13 17:33:23

I've read several Ben Cooper books by Stephen Booth. Set in the Peak District - nothing life changing about them but an enjoyable read.

efeslight Wed 10-Jul-13 17:28:56

have never actually used them, but the book people have a great offer on Ann Cleeves at the moment, will try to link

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=386195&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&categoryId=48122&pageNumber=1

BestIsWest Thu 04-Jul-13 20:07:05

I used to love Morse - might have a go at re-reading them since I'll have forgotten all the plots by now.

biryani Thu 04-Jul-13 08:30:54

Colin Dexter's Morse.

Ilovemyteddy Wed 03-Jul-13 20:59:18

Mo Hayder is well gory! But her Jack Caffrey books are brilliant.

BestIsWest Wed 03-Jul-13 20:57:21

Thanks. I have read Rebus. I also loved Jackson Brodie,

Is Mo Hayder any gorier than some of Val McDermid? I don't mind a bit of gore.

cocolepew Tue 02-Jul-13 22:13:59

Inspector Banks
Rebus
Peter James Roy Grace series.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now