If I like Inspectors Lynley, Dalgliesh and Wexford

(34 Posts)
BestIsWest Sun 30-Jun-13 21:05:08

What else will I like?

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 13:32:21

Are there two Fethering series?
I've only read the one with Carole and Jude.
What are the other ones called?

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 18-Jul-13 13:36:52

Not Fethering, but there's a series about an actor-come-detective called Charles Paris. Not read them for years, but I did like them and would love to get hold of them again.

arabesque Thu 18-Jul-13 14:22:56

Oh yes, I read one of those and enjoyed it.

He also writes a series about a racier Miss Marple type called Mrs Pargeter. Some of them are a bit comic bookish but 'Mrs Presumed Dead' and 'A Nice Class of Corpse' are excellent.

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 18-Jul-13 15:37:32

I'd forgotten about those! I thought there was another series but couldn't for the life of me think what they were.

I've read most of the Fethering lot as the Book People had the first 10 for £10. II've read a couple of the Paris and Pargeter ones many, many moons ago but not in any sort of order. I'll have to keep an eye ut on BP in case they come up.

efeslight Thu 18-Jul-13 21:49:51

Another vote for Dorothy Simpson, quite traditional style, feels like half way between Agatha Christie/P D James...ish
Went through a long period of reading/re-reading Ngaio Marsh, a New Zealand writer, but seems to aged quite badly, written in the 50s I think

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 21-Jul-13 15:40:28

Old classics

Sherlock Holmes, of courses
Someone else has mentioned Wimsey
Edmund Crispin
Margery Allingham
Josephine Tey

Frances Fyfield
MC Beaton

edam Sun 21-Jul-13 15:45:46

Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway stories have been a real find for me and a friend of mine who also likes Wexford. And thank you very much, OP, have just discovered there is a new one!

edam Sun 21-Jul-13 15:52:07

drat, it's not new, just new in paperback. Have already read it on my kindle!

BestIsWest Sun 21-Jul-13 18:09:30

I'm reading the first Jimmy Perez book. (Ann Cleeves). Really good so far. Just what I was looking for.

I can highly recommend The Cuckoo's Calling too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now