Gone Girl - if you have read it

(59 Posts)
wannabeawallaby Sun 30-Jun-13 15:53:45

DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT

REALLY

I MEAN IT

HOPEFULLY THAT'S ENOUGH

Ok, so I've just started reading gone girl BUT I'm wondering if it's already ruined for me. Someome on another thread, commenting on a telly programme, said 'I could do with a happy ending after reading gone girl'. I'm on the third chapter, Amy has gone missing. Is there any point me reading now I know it's going to be a sad ending? I guess at this point you could think she has made herself go missing, she might turn up, she might not... Etc.

So should I keep going?

scratchandsniff Sun 30-Jun-13 20:38:21

It hasn't been spoilt for you. Not as good as I thought it would be, a pretty average book and the ending was a bit of an anti-climax.

Do people really stop reading something (even something good) if they think it will have an unhappy ending? There goes most great literature then! smile

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Jul-13 09:11:41

I'm baffled by that, too.

What do you mean "any point in reading now I know it's going to be a sad ending"? Do you only read books with happy endings? How old are you?

Fwiw, I would say it is not a sad or happy ending. It's a complicated one.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Jul-13 09:12:36

Remus - You give up on books too easily! Not missing that much in this case, but I see a trend wink

DuchessofMalfi Mon 01-Jul-13 09:45:39

I can't remember the last book I read that had a proper happy ending grin My next read is We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, and that's not going to be a bundle of laughs either!

MerlinFromCamelot Mon 01-Jul-13 16:32:28

OP - did you carry on reading &, did you finish it?

wannabeawallaby Mon 01-Jul-13 17:27:13

I'm reading snippets while I'm on the tube! Busy evening ahead so will dip in and out tomorrow. I don't have long stretches to read unfortunately.

And yes, I read sad books - the point was I thought it had been ruined. Sorry if my OP wasn't clear

cornyblend37 Mon 01-Jul-13 17:31:44

I read this over the weekend. Loved the second half of the book, but I did think the ending was an anti-climax....though I wouldn't say it was sad.
I got up at 5 this morning to finish the last 40 pages as I really wanted to know what happened and am knackered now. Definitely keep reading.

I nearly gave up about a quarter of the way in as I was not really into it and failing to like the main characters. However it got chosen for my book group so I had to finish. Became hooked once the major twist was revealed in part two. You will not be sorry if you keep going! I quite liked the ending.

SanityClause Mon 01-Jul-13 17:35:08

Do keep reading, because the end is surprising.

The book is quite heavy going, though.

SanityClause Mon 01-Jul-13 17:37:03

fruitpastille, I don't think any of the characters are all that likeable, except maybe the sister, and the female detective.

I wanted Go to take action iykwim to help her brother by the end but sadly did not happen!

valiumredhead Mon 01-Jul-13 18:42:58

Ido-I felt the same! Really I have never cared less about characters before. Shit book imo, and the writing style was awful imo. Made me write stabbyangry

The ending was the only thing I liked about it.

OP come back when you have finished and we'll discuss it some moregrin

valiumredhead Mon 01-Jul-13 18:43:09

Quite not write

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Jul-13 19:51:16

Do the characters have to be likeable, too?

BaconAndAvocado Mon 01-Jul-13 20:47:33

wannabeawallaby your OP was clear!

cote the ending isn't complicated, it's bloody infuriating.

They don't have to be likeable but in this instance I wanted to be rooting for someone but justncouldnt!

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Jul-13 21:09:03

I wasn't infuriated. Why were you?

The ending was a complicated situation in the sense that it wasn't a clear-cut typical "bad guy lost, good guy won" type of scenario. I don't want to go into details here because OP hasn't finished it yet.

BOF Mon 01-Jul-13 21:12:07

I enjoyed it, and I thought the ending was wonderfully creepy.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Mon 01-Jul-13 21:12:39

I was reading the other day that Reece Witherspoon has brought rights- think it would make a good movie but no fun when you have read the book.

BOF Mon 01-Jul-13 21:15:46

She would make a great Amy. As long as they keep the sense of the character and show her unpleasant side. She ruined Vanity Fair by trying to make Becky likeable, which kind of missed the point.

cornyblend37 Mon 01-Jul-13 21:22:23

I actually preferred Amy when I read the second half of the book.I don't know if Reece W is right for Amy...I think perhaps Cameron Diaz could do her justice or maybe Gwynnie.

squeaver Mon 01-Jul-13 21:27:11

After you've finished, you should look up the author's we chat on here. It's really good.

But DO NOT look at it until you've finished the book.

IWillDoItInAMinute Mon 01-Jul-13 21:27:42

Agree with BOF and I thought the actress who plays Chloe in Don't trust the bitch would be perfect as the girl who 'befriends' Amy in the cabin.

squeaver Mon 01-Jul-13 21:27:51

ffs WEB chat, obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now