I want a Kindle but I feel like I am betraying books

(31 Posts)
BuiltForComfort Fri 21-Jun-13 15:03:31

I love books but I know a Kindle would be great for holidays. It's like contemplating an affair! I'm thinking, ooh just a flirtation for the holidays, but I wouldn't go the whole way. I'll stick with books the rest of the year ... will I? Or am I going to be making books into a cuckold whilst I run off with a shiny new Kindle into the sunshine? And would it matter if I did? Perhaps I'm thinking this way because there are problems in my relationship with hard copy reading?

What should I do? Should I LTB(ooks)?

gailforce1 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:51:34

Thanks Iaiontdunnuffiink I am off to check it out!

Arcticwaffle Tue 25-Jun-13 22:08:43

I found the kindle brilliant for travelling light, or holidays, before the kindle we used to pack so many books, or I'd stress about how many to take away for a few days. So it's been lovely having a whole library in my pocket.

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 27-Jun-13 18:32:01

I felt the same and sometimes still feel guilty.

I still buy books though a. Because they are often cheaper because I almost always buy second hand and b. because I like decorating my house with books.

I mostly download classics that I have I. The shelf but are often chunky or have tiny handwriting.

I also download books I am less fussed about such as book club reads.

I read all of my Agatha Christies in hard copy because there are some brilliantly illustrated editions about and I am collecting them.

So my answer is that for me it is a convenience for some if the time only.

LandOfSpareOom Thu 27-Jun-13 18:39:01

You are betraying books. Don't show your face in a bookshop or library after this, there will be fluttering and shuffling and that gosh, doesn't that heavy hardback large print look like it's moved a little closer...

Kindle at your peril!

LandOfSpareOom Thu 27-Jun-13 18:40:39

Or maybe you'll find that one Kindle and those few books who will agree to polyamory and everyone will be happy!

landof grin

cant see myself ever getting an e-reader unless my eyesight goes really wonky i love books too much. plus i tend to fidget/think/look at something else while reading too so im constantly sniffing my book or flicking all the pages blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now