50 Book Challenge 2013 -The Sequel!

(808 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sun 16-Jun-13 11:05:05

Morning all,

As the old thread here is nearly full, I have created a shiny new one for your delight and delectation.

Sign in and update your progress here!

I'm Cardiff and I've nearly finished book 16, so I'm very behind as to be in track we should be approaching 25 by now. Where is everyone else up to?

juneybean Tue 07-Jan-14 12:12:44

Well done to every one who reached (or exceeded!) their goals!

Here's the link to the new thread in case any one missed it:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/1951735-50-Book-Challenge-2014

grin

bibliomania Mon 06-Jan-14 20:58:03

Did get to 150 before 31st Dec - last two were
149) Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, Robin Sloan. Didn't take to this one at all. I don't like my ancient mysteries solved by Google.

150) Vile Bodies, Evelyn Waugh. Read it years ago and didn't really get it. Understood it better this time round, although I still prefer Scoop.

A good year's reading, on the whole.

CallingAllEngels Netherlands Thu 02-Jan-14 18:48:00

Posting my final list here as proof to myself that I did it! Finished the last one yesterday. Now onto the new thread with a new list to get started on!

1.So Long and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams
2.The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
3.Angels by Marian Keyes (re-read)
4.What I Talk about when I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
5.There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff (YA)
6.The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carre
7.The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth
8.The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
9.The Glimpse by Clair Merle (YA)
10.The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
11.Austerity Housekeeping by Sandra Bradley
12.The Host by Stephenie Meyer (re-read) (YA)
13.A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (YA)
14.Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (re-read)
15.A Games of Thrones by George R R Martin
16.A Clash of Kings by GRRM
17.A Storm of Swords Part 1 by GRRM
18.A Storm of Swords Part 2 by GRRM
19.A Feast for Crows by GRRM
20.Dance with Dragons Part 1 by GRRM
21.Dance With Dragons by GRRM
22.Inferno by Dan Brown
23.Whose Life is it Anyway? By Brian Clark (re-read)
24.Animal Farm by George Orwell
25. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (re-read)
26.The Mysterious Affair at Styles – Agatha Christie
27.The Murder on the Links – Agatha Christie
28.Poirot Investigates – Christie
29.The Murder of Roger Ackroyd – Christie
30.The Big Four – Christie
31.The Mystery of the Blue Train – Christie
32.Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
33.Tomorrow, when the war began – John Marsden (YA)
34.The Dead of the Night – J.Marsden
35.The Third Day, the Frost – J.Marsden
36.Darkness Be My Friend – J.Marsden
37.Peril at End House – Christie
38.Lord Edgeware Dies – Christie
39.Murder on the Orient Express – Christie
40.Burning for Revenge – J.Marsden
41.The Night is for Hunting – J.Marsden
42.1222 – Anne Holt
43.Fracture – Megan Miranda (YA)
44.Chances – Freya North
45.Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
46.Code Name Verity – Elizabeth Wein (YA)
47.Death Comes to Pemberley – P.D. James
48.The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared – Jonas Jonassen
49.Mostly Harmless – Douglas Adams
50.A Room of One’s Own – Virginia Woolf
51.I am Number Four – Pittacus Lore (YA)

Absy Thu 02-Jan-14 11:11:23

(my numbering is messed up on here) 55 (according to my other count). Bring up the Bodies - I found it very slow, and it only got exciting towards the end. But, it helped me get 15/29 on the "how well do you know British history" quiz (answer - not very well) so it's not all bad.
56. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. EVERYONE who works should read this, men and women. Particularly men, mysoginistic ones especially. It's so inspiring. It's partly anecdotal (but also backed up with a lot of facts) and is so awesome. She's the COO of Facebook (previously of Google) and has a lot of good career/working advice (and she's very honest about how tough it is, having a family and such a full on job). AMAZING.

BitOf - the North Korea book was fabulous. Depressing in ways, but inspiring in others.

First book of 2014 (which I started this morning) - Bad Science.

acsec Wed 01-Jan-14 14:27:54

i finished it! So now I can start something else today and get off to a good start for 2014. Not sure what to read though...

Foosyerdoos Tue 31-Dec-13 20:28:44

25. Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death - M C Beaton
26. A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

acsec Tue 31-Dec-13 16:03:30

I'm hoping to finish The Ocean at the End of the Lane today so I can start a new book tomorrow. I've managed 26 books this year, which I'm really pleased with, and I've read a different range of books and discovered new authors. I'm looking forward to reading more in 2014!

funambulist Tue 31-Dec-13 15:13:25

68 An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

This is an absolutely fantastic book. I would recommend it to anyone. The author, Chris Hadfield is a Canadian astronaut. The book explains how he decided that he wanted to be an astronaut aged 9 after watching the moon landings, how he worked to achieve this and what being an astronaut really involves given that the vast majority of the time is spent on the ground. Chris has the gift of writing really well, so that the book is a pleasure to read. What he has to say is genuinely interesting e.g. how to you go to the loo in zero gravity? And his experiences have taught him some lessons that we can all follow about being happy, successful and getting the most out of life.

While I was reading the book I also watched a few of the videos Chris made whilst based in the International Space Station (search on Youtube under his name). The one of him singing Space Oddity whilst floating around the ISS in zero gravity is the most famous but the others (brushing your teeth in space, making a sandwich in space, wringing out a wet cloth in space etc) are also fascinating.

PerksOfBeingNorthern Tue 31-Dec-13 13:03:37

Should finish Giovanna Fletcher - Billy & Me today which brings my total to 122.
Lots of shiny new books/downloads have been purchased from the back of this thread so thanks to all for sharing and thanks to Cardiff for the great idea.
See you on the flip side (or on the other thread) smile

BitOfFunWithSanta Mon 30-Dec-13 22:21:50

99. Nothing To Envy- about lives in North Korea. Beautifully written and fascinating.

100. The Avenue Goes To War- RF Delderfield.

Yay- I got there! fgrin

65. Neil Gaiman "The Graveyard Book"

I'm about to start another Neil Gaiman but it's unlikely I'll finish by tomorrow night so I guess that'll be my first book on the new thread!!

Southeastdweller Mon 30-Dec-13 21:46:09

I'm coming in at a thoroughly embarrassing 16. I can't even say I've got a family to distract me, no, it's bloody gadgets blush.

I've recently moved to a place that's more quiet and may even leave my iPad at work a few times a week so I'm hoping I'll read much more next year.

My favourite read of the year was 'The Help', by Kathryn Stockett. An entertaining but at times shocking book that I found very rewarding.

CallingAllEngels Netherlands Mon 30-Dec-13 18:27:33

I'm on book 49...eek! Wonder if I can make it to 50 before midnight tomorrow?

moonshine Mon 30-Dec-13 16:18:38

34. Enemies - A History of the FBI: Tim Weiner 7.5/10
35. Nameless: A Novel: Joe Conlan 7.5/10
36. The Song Before It's Sung: Justin Cartwright 7.5/10

I've had a good run of enjoyable books - all very different. And that's me for the year. I knew I'd never reach 50 as I am a pretty slow reader but I shall resolve for next year to at least put more time intoreading (i.e. instead of watching crap threads on mn tv)

tumbletumble Mon 30-Dec-13 14:54:57

I'm not going to have time to finish my current book before the end of the year, so that means I've ended up on exactly 50! Really pleased.

My top 5 for the year:

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

gailforce1 Mon 30-Dec-13 12:34:20

This has been a brilliant thread both for making me keep track of the books I have read but also for getting inspiration for new reads! Highlights of my 53 reads in 2013 are:-
1. A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym. Looking to find more of her books.
2. Persephone books - Dorothy Whipple, Winifred Watson. Also looking to read more of these in the coming year.
3. Heft by Liz Moore
4. Big Brother by Lionel Shriver
5. Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
6. Dear Lupin and 7. Dear Lumpy by Roger Mortimer
8. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome - how has it taken me so long to get round to reading this, now going to be a "comfort read"!
9. Brighton Beach by Graham Greene
10. The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
11. My Reading Life by Pat Conroy - insight on how his Mother and an English teacher inspired this American author
12. Transatlantic by Colum McCann - excellent

Thanks to Cardiff for starting this thread.

AnneWentworth Mon 30-Dec-13 11:30:22

Juney I am delighted. I have set a target of 25 next year though as I have a tough year at uni ahead.

juneybean Mon 30-Dec-13 11:19:45
juneybean Mon 30-Dec-13 11:16:39

45 is still a fantastic achievement! I was a bit worried at the beginning of December I wasn't going to make it so I started reading short books wink

I think I'm done for 2013 now, got university work to crack on with.

AnneWentworth Mon 30-Dec-13 08:34:19

43. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Delightful really and short.

Obviously not going to make 50 so revised to 45. I am going to start Pride & Prejudice today as it feels a bit wrong as an Austen fan not to read it in its 200th year anniversary.

funambulist Sun 29-Dec-13 23:42:04

67 A Kind Man by Susan Hill

I've read hardly anything over the last couple of weeks as I've been wrapped up in Christmas preparations. All our visitors have now gone home and, feeling slightly guilty that I wasn't dealing with the mound of washing that's accumulated, I curled up with one of the books I was given for Christmas. This was a very quick read, I read it in an afternoon and almost effortless. I've now started An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, which I'm really enjoying.

CoteDAzur Sun 29-Dec-13 22:02:32

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons?

Not sure I'm up for much intellectual challenge right now! What I really want is something else like World War Z, but with bonnets as well as zombies! smile

CoteDAzur Sun 29-Dec-13 21:43:36

Remus - Try Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It is a huge tome AND it's intellectually challenging.

minsmum Germany Sun 29-Dec-13 20:54:06

77 Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
78 A Touch of Midnight - Lara Adrian
79 Angel with Two Faces - Nicola Upson
80 The Witness - Nora Roberts
81 Butterflies in November - can't remember the author and don't have the book to hand but a very good read

I haven't posted for a while and am not reading much but I have enjoyed these

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now