50 Book Challenge 2013 -The Sequel!

(808 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sun 16-Jun-13 11:05:05

Morning all,

As the old thread here is nearly full, I have created a shiny new one for your delight and delectation.

Sign in and update your progress here!

I'm Cardiff and I've nearly finished book 16, so I'm very behind as to be in track we should be approaching 25 by now. Where is everyone else up to?

Finished 45: Nina Holmqvist "The Unit". Just wow. I dint know what to say. It was one of the most heart-wrenching novels I've ever read.

minsmum Sun 15-Sep-13 22:11:43

52. The girl who kicked the Hornets nest - Stieg Larsson. Really enjoyed the 3 books. Such a pity he died so young

DuchessofMalfi Mon 16-Sep-13 06:43:07

I'm just about to start reading that minsmumsmile

MrsMaryCooper Mon 16-Sep-13 08:44:38

58. The Juliette Society - Sasha Grey. Smutty pish.

mumslife Mon 16-Sep-13 19:43:23

Book 40 the sunday girls

minsmum Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:35

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did Duchess.

53. Whiskey Beach - Nora Roberts. A quick enjoyable read, I couldn't settle into anything else after finishing my previous book. I suppose its the literary equivalent of a palette cleanser.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Mon 16-Sep-13 22:33:16

25. The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato

Really poor. 400 pages of trite and cliched nonsense. Really annoyed I spent so long reading it actually.

AnonYonimousBird Thu 19-Sep-13 16:01:40

37. The Shadow of the Wind (Oh yes!!!!!)
38. Tenant of Wildfell Hall
39. In Cold Blood
40. The Testatment of Mary - fantastic.

CoteDAzur Fri 20-Sep-13 14:01:22

34. Anna bloody Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Brilliant but neverending book that talks about absolutely everything worth talking about.

It took me an entire month to read shock I think I'll follow it with several short/fun books.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 20-Sep-13 18:12:30

Book 81 - The Child In Time by Ian McEwan. Didn't like it very much.

Still battling on with The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Not enjoying it very much. Struggling to remember who everyone is, and am losing the battle at the moment sad

Foosyerdoos Sat 21-Sep-13 00:02:24

I'm a bit late to the book party, but I would like to join in. So far this year I have read -
1 The Making of Modern Britain - Andrew Marr
2. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
3. Back Story - David Mitchell
4. The Box Lady and Other Pesticles - Richard Herring
5. A Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling
6. The Year of the Flood - Margaret Attwood
7. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Attwood
8. Red Shirts - John Scalzi

I have a lot of catching up to do but I am on hols in a couple of weeks so will hopefully do it a bit more reading then.

MrsMaryCooper Sat 21-Sep-13 08:52:44

59. The Shining Girls - Lauren Beukes. Very disappointing. It got such rave reviews but I had to force myself to finish it.

MegBusset Sat 21-Sep-13 14:47:50

41. Farthest North - Fridtjof Nansen

This took a few weeks because it's a long read and also because due to work and school hols I've had precious little time to myself. It's very good though if you're a polar exploration fan, and a really interesting counterpoint to the Scott expedition (very different personalities and - mostly by luck - different outcome).

Book 46 was Alice Hoffman "At Risk", fabulous but also very sad story.

Book 47 was Lizzy Ford "Mind Cafe" which was alright, but quite short.

Next on my list is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

acsec Sat 21-Sep-13 22:49:03

21. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

JennySense Sat 21-Sep-13 23:52:32

21 - Confessions of a New York Taxi Driver (The Confessions Series) - Eugene Salomon - need to finish
22 - Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
23 - Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty
24 - The Silent Wife

Foosyerdoos Sun 22-Sep-13 16:51:33

9. The Clothes on their Backs - Linda Grant

BOF Mon 23-Sep-13 21:27:46

68. Heft, by Liz Moore

69. The Summer We All Ran Away, by Cassandra Parkin (recommend this, she's an MNer)

70. Last Exit To Brooklyn, by Hubert Selby Jr

71. Garnethill, by Denise Mina. Really fantastic, but I felt like I'd gone past caring who the killer was by the end.

72. The Postman Always Rings Twice, by James M Cain

73. The Blackhouse, by Peter May- halfway through, really enjoying it.

CircassianLeyla Mon 23-Sep-13 22:26:33

34. Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Whilst reading it I found it a slog but by the time I finished I actually got quite into it. Not much happens but it is a bleak insight into interwar Britain but I found the bits about a shell shocked ex soldier compelling.

35. The Sun Catchers by Steve Cole
Five year old bedtime story, although it is a novel. Not much to say except "meh" and five year old agreed.

Currently reading Around the World in Eighty Days ... Another bedtime story and to be honest even when they have fallen asleep I carry on. It is a reread for me but I had forgotten how great it is and it has made me think about rereading more stuff from my teenage years.

CircassianLeyla Mon 23-Sep-13 22:31:38

Côte - I would like to congratulate you on Anna Karenina. One month is a pretty good time considering the length. Did you finish it in time for book club though?

CoteDAzur Mon 23-Sep-13 22:38:18

Thanks smile I finished it exactly two hours before the book club meeting and was the only one to have finished it, except the ones who had read it many years ago.

tumbletumble Tue 24-Sep-13 06:41:01

35. O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
36. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
37. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

All three set in America, the first in the late 19th / early 20th century, the second in the early 20th century and the third in the 1960s. I enjoyed them all, especially The Help - fantastic book.

AnonYonimousBird Tue 24-Sep-13 11:50:52

BOF - How was Heft? I've just borrowed from the library.

I loved Blackhouse too.

BOF Tue 24-Sep-13 12:15:38

I had a couple of issues with it, tbh, but it's hard to go into without being spoilerish. It is beautifully written though, and well worth reading.

minsmum Tue 24-Sep-13 14:26:14

54 The Return of Rafe Mackade - Nora Roberts
55 The Pride of Jared Mackade - Nora Roberts
56 The Heart of Devin Mackade - Nora Roberts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now