Post-Apocalypse, Dystopian, Zombies ...

(67 Posts)
LinghamStyle Thu 06-Jun-13 21:12:20

Any recommendations please?

I've just finished The Fall of Society (Book 1) which was free on Kindle and I'm half-way through the sequel but stuck for what to get next.

Thanks smile

SarahAndFuck Mon 17-Jun-13 17:36:56

Luis it might be too late to un-recommend the John Locke book.

If it's not too late, don't bother. Really.

He can't seem to decide if he wants serious issues or cheerful farce to be his main style so he's gone for both, it's badly written and he seems to think that throwing in lesbian sex scenes every so often counts as comic relief.

SarahAndFuck Mon 17-Jun-13 17:37:14

And I saw the plot twist coming a mile away.

JamEyelid Tue 18-Jun-13 17:15:04

I have been lurking and bought Wool yesterday. I got very little sleep but really enjoyed it. Thank you. Shift is being read later.

bakingdemon Tue 18-Jun-13 17:46:19

Try Justin Cronin's The Passage. It starts with a secret US Army medical experiment which goes wrong and unleashes a plague of vampire-like creatures, then picks up with various of the survivors and a mysterious girl who seems to have a connection with the "virals". I'm halfway through the sequel (The Twelve) - it's really gripping, if with quite a lot of characters to keep track of.

Yes - The Passage is reasonably well written and has at least two decent female characters.

LinghamStyle Tue 18-Jun-13 18:12:34

I'm back! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some of these. I'm starting The Passage next!

SciFiandRomance Tue 18-Jun-13 19:32:34

There are also some books that are set in the 'Wool universe' but written by someone else. I've read the first one and it's good, but very short.

AnyFucker Mon 01-Jul-13 10:38:24

Bumping this thread for the hoiday readers

I got "Wool" out of the library on recommendation here but gave up very quickly. I just found it boring with no real character development at all.

nobodysbaby Mon 08-Jul-13 21:44:00

Slight hijack, but I read a book about a dystopian near future as a teenager and have been trying to remember the name. Food was hugely expensive and the family's father had stockpiled a lot in their cellar. The son wanted to share it, and I think it ended up with a mass raid on the house. Can anyone help?

CoteDAzur Mon 08-Jul-13 22:14:26

Wool just didn't make any sense to me. Many generations of people living underground without any adaptation whatsoever? Obtaining all their energy needs through the coal they mine downwards, not sideways?

EnidClowes Mon 08-Jul-13 22:25:29

Lots of cross-over with other suggestions but I can't see 'Earth Abides' by George R Stewart.
It's brilliant and since reading it I've not been able to get it out of my head. I think it was written in the 50's/60's but could easily be written recently. It's a post apocalyptic rebuilding of society story and reminded me of both 'Day of the Triffids' and 'I am legend' in good ways.

Earth Abides is very good, as are Stephen Baxter's Flood & Ark, lots of great suggestions, you could also try;

Alas Babylon, Pat Frank
Death of Grass, John Christopher,
The Drought, J G Ballard
Far North, Marcell Theoux
A Canticle for Liebowiz, Walter M Miller
Oryx & Crake, Margaret Atwood
A Wrinkle in the Skin, John Christopher
Greybeard, Brian Aldiss
Nod, Adrian Barnes
The Postman, David Brin (super-shit film though)
The Dog Stars, Peter Heller

All apocalyptic/post apocalyptic.

Zombie-wise The Passage & The Twelve by Justin Cronin are very good, & World War Z is brilliant, ones that haven't been mentioned are;

The Return Man, V.M Zito
The Reapers are Angels, Alden Bell
The Forest of Hands & Teeth, Carrie Ryan (there are two sequels, The Dead Tossed Waves & The Dark & Hollow Places)
I, Zombie, Hugh Howey

I could go on, it's one of my favourite sub-genres.

VodkaJelly Fri 12-Jul-13 21:51:48

The Return Man, V.M Zito
The Reapers are Angels, Alden Bell

I didnt like these, especially the reapers, poorly written.

Not sure if other have mentioned but there is the 6 book series "Zombie Fallout" by Mark Tufo and the kindle versions "The Undead" Day 1 up to Day 13 and are really cheap to buy.

VodkaJelly Fri 12-Jul-13 21:54:20

sorry, The Undead are by R R Haywood

VivaLeBeaver Fri 12-Jul-13 21:57:41

White horse by Alex adams

gaggiagirl Fri 12-Jul-13 22:10:03

Don of the living dead by Robert decoteau

The deadlocked series by AR wise

Darn good zombie reading.

Allthingspretty Sat 13-Jul-13 17:46:41

The Children of Men by PD James

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now