Post-Apocalypse, Dystopian, Zombies ...

(67 Posts)
LinghamStyle Thu 06-Jun-13 21:12:20

Any recommendations please?

I've just finished The Fall of Society (Book 1) which was free on Kindle and I'm half-way through the sequel but stuck for what to get next.

Thanks smile

I really enjoyed reading Tim Lebbon's Coldbrook (zombies).

I also enjoyed reading Julie myerson's Then, but she gets bad press on mn grin

Ugh, yes - I hated, 'Then' too. smile

I know Remus grin. I still think about it.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 09-Jun-13 16:37:47

I wasn't keen on 'Then' at all.
In fact I think I gave up on it.

I now have 'Wool' and 'Coldbrook' on order as a result of this thread so thanks! smile

Public Enemy Zero by Andrew Mayne is a good one.

mizu Wed 12-Jun-13 19:34:24

I am just over half way through Wool and have just ordered 'Shift' the second in the trilogy on Amazon.

I love it and can't stop reading it. Just have to wait til October for Dust - the last one.

Haven't read this kind of fiction for years and it is great to get back into it.

I remember reading Children of the Dust as a teenager and reading part of it on the bus back from school and crying as it was so disturbing for me. It was a book that stayed with me for a long time.

In my opinion, Shift is a better read than Wool, because Howey maintains the tension throughout the story, and there isn't a slow-moving middle section like Wool had.

I also found it fascinating to discover how they got from a world like the one we live in, to the world they ended up in.

SarahAndFuck England Thu 13-Jun-13 09:53:39

Extinction Point by Paul Anthony Jones is good, and there is at least one sequel coming soon.

Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows: The Zombie Bible by Stant Litore is strange and might be an acquired taste. The description of it makes it sound terrible but it wasn't as bad as you might expect. And there are other stories in the series if you don't totally hate it.

I've just finished a book called 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad and that was quite good. It doesn't exactly fit with this theme but I still think you might like it, although it is an older teen/young adult book.

And I will second all the recommendations for The Stand and Day of the Triffids.

And have you read anything by Robert Shearman? One of his short stories, Granny's Grinning, fits the bill here very weirdly. He has a collection out called Remember Why You Fear Me and I do recommend it. I should also admit that I know him, but I'm recommending him because I really do think you might enjoy the book.

SarahAndFuck England Thu 13-Jun-13 11:22:02

The David Moody book. Was that the one where people just suddenly seemed to get The Rage and attack random other people who didn't have it? And old lady was thrown through a window? The leading character's family were split, two had The Rage and three didn't?

I read the first book, thought it was alright but not great and didn't like the end, wrote a review on a book forum to say so and got a very angry PM from someone, shouting all in capitals, about how I didn't understand the book and must take down my review immediately because there was a sequel coming which I was too stupid to read but ought to anyway because it might help me understand just how fantastic the first book was and how stupid I really am.

I still haven't read it.

marissab Thu 13-Jun-13 15:02:41

Did anyone mention i am legend? Very good. Oh and brave new world is a classic.

bran Thu 13-Jun-13 16:18:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuisSuarezTeeth England Fri 14-Jun-13 11:01:40

I read I am Legend - very odd ending! Enjoyed it though.

Reading Breakers at the moment, as recommended upthread. Its free on kindle.

LuisSuarezTeeth England Fri 14-Jun-13 11:03:51

Any other free on kindle recommendations? Proper skint at mo blush

SarahAndFuck England Fri 14-Jun-13 11:28:37

Luis - someone on Facebook just recommended Promise You Won't Tell by John Locke as a free kindle book.

I thought it was one of those true life books but they said it's one of a series about a Private Investigator.

I haven't read it or had a look at it yet but my friend said it was very good.

marissab Fri 14-Jun-13 11:46:36

See i loved the ending of i am legend. Won't spoil it but i totally got 'it'. They totally missed the point in the film.

I didn't like, 'I Am Legend' much. I thought it lacked depth, left too many avenues unexplored and that the ending was quite silly and contrived. Am often disappointed by endings though - I mean you, 'The Road.'

bran Fri 14-Jun-13 16:51:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

marissab - I know, I raged about the film of I Am Legend. Totally missed the point, which surprised me as I'd read that Will Smith had been trying to make the film for years confused

I liked it a lot though.

I liked The Road too.

Lousmart Fri 14-Jun-13 18:08:57

I'm surprised Hunger Games hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed a post)

But I'll unashamedly ask you all a question as you seem very knowledgeable about this genre of fiction.

I read a book 8 years ago (I've asked this question here before I think, so forgive me). I'm sure it was set in future Devon or Cornwall. A married couple opted out of the 'system' everything was run on a credit system. You could not use cash, there was no cash. Every transaction and move was monitored. An American super power was intent on world domination and the married couple escaped on a yatch to live a life without the system. If anyone recognises that description, do you know the book or author? I'm desperate to read again.

Many thanks. grin And I'll be looking for a few of the books on here too. Thanks smile

marissab Fri 14-Jun-13 20:04:56

It was a while ago remus but i found i am legend quite deep and it left me thinking about humanity and how we treat lesser species for a long time afterwards. Its funny how different people take different views on something. Reminds me of when i went to see 300 with 4 blokes who hated it. They didn't 'get' it like i did. But thats a whole other story.

The most recent book I've read which has me thinking about it at odd times is, 'Brave New World' - again to do with how we treat 'lesser' humans. An odd and disturbing book, I thought, but I really enjoyed it.

LuisSuarezTeeth England Fri 14-Jun-13 21:24:54

Lousmart that sounds intriguing but I have no idea! Hope someone can shed light, it's right up my street!

LuisSuarezTeeth England Fri 14-Jun-13 21:26:28

Thank you Sarah will look it up

Lousmart Fri 14-Jun-13 22:03:34

Luis, if I can ever find this book again I'll be so chuffed! I lent it from the library but (spookily) it's not on my record!!! Hee hee. I have searched amazon over and over again and gone on recommended searches to no avail. It was a cracking book that got me hooked on this genre grin

marissab Sat 15-Jun-13 16:02:28

I loved brave new world also. Very disturbing and a scary possible future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now