What are you reading today?

(176 Posts)
melodyangel Wed 05-Jun-13 12:53:56

That's it really. What are you ready at the moment and are you enjoying it?

I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 and loving it.

penguinpaperback Thu 03-Oct-13 01:11:54

I was one of the lucky ones who got the free book 'An Everyday Miracle' by Professor Jim Dornan. Thank you mumsnet.
Really enjoyable book, some wonderful stories from Professor Dornan's 40 years as gynaecologist and obstetrician. I will passing it on to members of my family.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 02-Oct-13 21:11:02

I think I'll give it a go soon then smile

melodyangel Wed 02-Oct-13 19:12:49

DuchessofMalfi I loved it! Would definitely recommend it.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 02-Oct-13 17:24:39

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

I noticed in your first post melody that you were reading Fahrenheit 451. What did you think of it when you'd finished it? It's on my shortlist to read by the end of the year, but I'm wavering for some reason.

melodyangel Wed 02-Oct-13 12:07:51

Bill Bryson - Notes from a small island really enjoying it have read any of his stuff before but had heard good things.

Just finished How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran.

LaQueenForADay Wed 18-Sep-13 23:38:46

The very latest Jack Reacher blush

What can I say...I have the previous 17 all read and enjoyed on my Kindle.

I have no shame...

Unusual Company by Margaret Erhart

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 15-Sep-13 20:38:57

I have just finished Fever Crumb and am in mourning because I haven't got the next one. sad

But I'm soldiering on and reading Ngaio Marsh's Off With His Head. So far so Midsomer.

qazxc Sun 15-Sep-13 14:41:55

Have just finished reading Saga (graphic novel) and have just started JK Rowling Casual vacancy

penguinpaperback Sun 15-Sep-13 14:10:47

I've got 2 books on the go, both non fiction. A Wiltshire Diary, Francis Kilvert (1840-1879) and Maeve's Times. Some selected articles Maeve Binchy wrote for the Irish Times. I'm really enjoying MB's book, she started writing for the Times in the 60's. I've tried her fiction a few times and have never finished a book.

Iaintdunnuffink Fri 13-Sep-13 23:22:41

Wool

It's a young adult book but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to see what's going on!

Teddytoo99 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:01:53

I've just read a great book called A Week at Meredith's. It is only available on Kindle (Amazon) but is a must-read for stressed mums! Highly recommended!

Kasterborous Wed 11-Sep-13 14:02:54

Just about to start W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton

Taffeta Wed 11-Sep-13 09:20:08

Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie OFarrell

DuchessofMalfi Sat 07-Sep-13 16:38:34

Now reading What the Chinese Don't Eat by Xinran, and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer - it is just as bad as it sounds.
I am also reading a study guide on Dr Faustus, re-reading P&P and also a book about Everest, if that's any better?!

Defy the Wilderness- Lynne Reid Banks. Anyone else like her? I think this is the first book of hers that I'm not really sucked into.

biography of Zelda Fitzgerald (yes, I did end up liking F. Scott!)
neither of them are coming across very well at the moment in this book

KurriKurri Thu 05-Sep-13 20:22:32

I'm reading The Dying Hours by Mark Billingham (latest Tom Thorne novel) on my Kindle, and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for my book club.

ep1977 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:15:29

Lone wolf by Jodi Picoult from library
and Alex cross trial by James Patterson on my kindle

Janny1 Thu 05-Sep-13 18:41:47

I'm reading a free download from Amazon called Night Monsters by Lauren White. It is enthralling. A bleak theme on the surface - suicide - but ironically absolutely uplifting.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 05-Sep-13 17:26:40

Approaching the end of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It's interesting, but not what I'd call a page turner. It raises many questions along the way. If only they had had DNA testing back then. It took so long to piece the case together and make arrests. Even then, a lot of what they were looking at was very tenuous.

Louise1956 Thu 05-Sep-13 17:14:54

a Scented Palace, The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's perfumer by Elizabeth de Feydeau. very interesting biography of the man who supplied perfumes and cosmetics to many French aristocrats including the Queen. Although a staunch Republican, he had a fondness for the Queen, who he maintained was a king and generous woman. very interesting especially about the perfume trade. interesting that when he married, it was taken for granted that his wife would assist him in his business, this was the norm in those days.

Mumof1Essex Thu 05-Sep-13 15:00:44

Longtime lurker, first time poster! Had to join to comment. Just finished an AMAZING book, by an author who's first book I read last year. This new one is definitely one that interested me- it's about a little girl who gets kidnapped, and her carer who has to find her. I really honestly couldn't put it down. I'm off to write an amazon review, but wow.

Don't worry, it sounds like it might be nasty, but most of the scary happens in your own head. Really opened my eyes about a lot of things, the internet especially. I'll be having a talk with my DC about her net use from now on. There is so much stuff I didn't know about the web!

I'd recommend reading this if you have kids of any age, and if you love a good page-turner!

Thanks!

Bxxx

www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Afraid-ebook/dp/B00EPIXL36/

beachmum41 Thu 25-Jul-13 23:42:04

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry -it's excellent! Thought it might be heavy going, but turns out to be really readable.

Just finished Gone Girl on hols, fun page turner, and also The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which was ok but went a bit silly (I thought). Or maybe it was silly all along but I only realised late wink. Holidays are great for lots of reading!

short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald....started a week or so ago in prep for rewatching Midnight in Paris for the umpteenth time grin not really gripped, they seem like just silly romantic stories you'd get in those cheap OAP mags

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now