What are you reading today?

(176 Posts)
melodyangel Wed 05-Jun-13 12:53:56

That's it really. What are you ready at the moment and are you enjoying it?

I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 and loving it.

NotYoMomma Sat 06-Jul-13 15:48:21

I've read them before grin I love Patrick Ness.

I have a sample of A monster calls to read next

Cherrypi Sat 06-Jul-13 18:14:14

The woman upstairs by Claire Messud. I'm enjoying but it doesn't go with the sunshine so I'm going to find something lighter.

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 06-Jul-13 23:22:36

I've just downloaded the Universe versus Alex Woods and The Shock of the Fall, I can't decide which one to start first.

EliotNess Sat 06-Jul-13 23:51:53

Not Alex woods

dadditlass Sun 07-Jul-13 00:13:02

Galaxy have you tried Diana Gabaldons Cross Stitch?
I loved Lady of Hay and found Cross stitch even better, it's another time travel one.

Samu2 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:04:50

Dark Places by Gillian whatshername.

Khara Sun 07-Jul-13 22:22:28

The second-last woman in England - really enjoying it!

Galaxymum Mon 08-Jul-13 09:26:10

I've been poorly over the weekend so got out some chick lit as light funny reading. Catherine Alliott's A Rural Affair which I'm raring through and enjoying something funny.

Dadditlass - yes I read Crosstitch last year - I really enjoyed it but haven't read the others. Looking forward to the tv series!

melodyangel Mon 08-Jul-13 17:21:23

Ok so finished Fahrenheit 451 and just loved it. I loved it even more after reading the afterword but then I dream of working in a library.

I then read The Autumn of the Patriarch by Garcia Marquez. It was my third atempt to finish it but really enjoyed that too.

I am just about to start The Perculiar Memories of Thomas Penman which a friend gave me. Loving the cover photo.

hackmum Mon 08-Jul-13 20:22:32

Have just finished The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (depressing book about Iraq war) and The Fate in our Stars by John Green, which is about a teenage girl dying of cancer. I know - I must be getting in the mood for summer. The Fate in our Stars turned out to be engrossing, surprisingly.

Am about to read Where'd you go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple.

I'm reading Marian Keyes' "Rachel's Holiday" because I needed something a bit more "chewing gum for the eyes"-y.

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Jul-13 19:03:21

American Wife. About half way through.

highlandcoo Tue 09-Jul-13 20:12:18

How are you enjoying it Marsha? It was my favourite holiday read a couple of years back.

Made it just about credible that a seemingly pleasant and intelligent woman like Laura Bush could have ended up with that idiot smile

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Jul-13 20:45:13

Yes it's a great one for summer.

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Jul-13 20:48:16

As an aside it did make me think that I've read an awful lot of books with the very pretty (but doesn't know it) and clever, but unassuming lead female. With slightly overbearing and madder friend and good looking but cocky boyfriend. Feels really familiar.

Still enjoying it anyway.

Lioninthesun Tue 09-Jul-13 21:06:25

Just finished The Accidental by Ali Smith this afternoon. It was quite good but a little something and nothing. I do like her writing style though. Considering watching Luther on iplayer (eeek!) and then start Dawn French's Oh Dear Silvia to erase any images that may keep me awake from Luther. Really enjoyed DF's A Tiny Bit Marvellous which was a charity shop find, and v. happy to see the recipes in the back smile so hoping this next is just as fun.

hackmum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:11:29

So, have nearly finished "Where'd you go, Bernadette?" and would like to recommend it - it's a really entertaining read. I knew very little about it before starting (it was shortlisted for the Women's Prize) so assumed from the title it was going to be another one of those misery fests about poor Oirish families eating potatoes and knocking lumps out of each other. But it's actually American.smile

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Jul-13 10:21:54

The murder of Roger Ackroyd and Adam Bede. Both good in their own way.

valiumredhead Wed 10-Jul-13 14:30:46

I loved The Magpies! The author posted on a thread recently. Really entertaining read imo.

I'm reading As they Slept which is a nice humorous read as I'm finding it hard to concentrate on anything too messy atm as it's so hot.

Ellenora5 Sun 14-Jul-13 22:01:09

Just started The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, I think it will be funny

Galaxymum Sun 14-Jul-13 23:08:47

Just about to read the last thirty pages of The Captain's Daughter by Leah Fleming. It's a very enjoyable story as a summer read. A few too many coincidences to move on the story but I liked the characters and the genuine friendships and relationships. Not sure what to read next. I need something light in this heat!

DuchessofMalfi Mon 15-Jul-13 06:43:04

I'm reading Watermelon by Marian Keyes and also Lady Chatterley's Lover and The End of Your Life Bookclub by Will Schwalbe.

Bearandcub Mon 15-Jul-13 06:57:59

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley

It's v good.

Janie875 Wed 17-Jul-13 17:41:19

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Everyone really needs to read this - it's very long, but an amazing book!

(Hi everyone by the way, I'm new here!)

I'm reading The Honorary Consul by Graham Greene. Can't believe I haven't read it before. Very different to End of the Affair and Brighton Rock, which are the only two I have read of his.

Very enjoyable. Extremely modern and a touch Like Marquez. Its funny how the restrained Englishness of his prose translates so well into bare boned exposure of Argentina during the early Pinochet years. Bleakly comic and tragic. Very underplayed. Fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now