What are you reading today?

(176 Posts)
melodyangel Wed 05-Jun-13 12:53:56

That's it really. What are you ready at the moment and are you enjoying it?

I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 and loving it.

IsThisAGoodIdea Fri 07-Jun-13 21:59:03

I'm waiting to start Gone Girl. Don't get much reading time atm and am so exhausted at bed-time it's lights out straight away. But, I think it will be a gripper.

BooksandaCuppa Fri 07-Jun-13 22:23:23

I'm not a SF fan - in fact I'm not sure how long and why I had Engleby on the shelf. Not read Birdsong etc. But I did enjoy his non-fiction biography three-part thingy 'A Fatal Englishman' and a couple of people whose opinion I trust loved both Engleby and the psychiatric hospital one (title eludes me).

Anyhow...I read reviews of, tried and absolutely loved A Possible Life recently. Are you including that in your 'abominable' round-up?! If not, I think it's worth a try - from the library anyway. Very good on emotional responses to music (imho).

Haven't read any of his non-fiction. The hospital one = is that Human Traces? I got about half way, and then decided I'd rather read my own fingernails tbh. He is of the school of why use one word when 27 will be more pompous and irritating. Also, I suspect he hates women.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 07-Jun-13 22:36:57

Remus you would not be alone in not finishing Kim.

smile

BooksandaCuppa Sat 08-Jun-13 09:21:49

I think you might be right about the women thing. Certainly even in A Possible Life which, as I said, I really enjoyed, these are question marks over how he deals with the central female character of the main section.

PestoSwimissimos Sat 08-Jun-13 09:25:07

Just finished Tigers in Red Weather, which I received as a Mumsnet giveaway. Found it very absorbing but a nice light summer read. Now dithering over what to read next...

kelda Sat 08-Jun-13 09:59:13

I've finally finished Wolf Hall! It took me six weeks. I have now started 'The Long Earth', Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. It's more Sci-fi then TP Discworld series.

I think there's a sequel to The Long Earth out soon. I enjoyed TLE - much better than 'Dodger' which is his other most recent one.

AnonYonimousBird Sat 08-Jun-13 17:38:38

Why has Sebastian Faulks become such an "established" author? His writing is so dull!!!!! Ugh. A

Looking forward to Tigers in Red Weather. Also just ordered cheap second hand copies of Atonement and The Hobbit!

Don't get too excited about Gone Girl. Page turner yes, but somewhat disappointing. All her books have the same fault. Spoiler alert, look away now.

<<whispers - dismal endings>>

I managed three pages of GG and found it too dreadful to continue. Dp and dd1 both finished it - both hated it.

Graceparkhill Sat 08-Jun-13 17:53:40

I have just finished One Step too Far by Tina Seskis. Greatly enjoyed it. Am about to embark upon Melting the Snow on Hester Street by Daisy Waugh.

JuicyShops Sat 08-Jun-13 17:56:09

THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS, I LOVED IT

I've caved in and started Game of Thrones.

Jux Sat 08-Jun-13 18:22:13

Eliot Perlman, Seven Types of Ambiguity. Enjoying it.

Have now started, 'The White Tiger' about climbing the Eiger. Think I'm going to love it.

PurpleGeekyGirl Sat 08-Jun-13 19:32:45

The twelve by Justin Cronin. Once that's finished I have the latest sookie stackhouse. Trash escapism for me at the mo!

kelda Sat 08-Jun-13 19:36:15

Remus - I haven't read Dodger. I am enjoying The Long Earth - already read nearly 100 pages in two days - so much easier reading then Hilary Mantel!

melodyangel - Fahrenheit 451 was one of the first scifi books I read more then 20 years ago. I might start reading Ray Bradbury again.

ItsallFeegle Sat 08-Jun-13 19:47:37

I've just bought The Game of Thrones book 1 for my eReader grin

I'm excited!

I will never read another Hilary Mantel - vastly overrated imvho.

I keep meaning to read more Ray B. Have been on a bit of a sci-fi binge lately.

Jux Sat 08-Jun-13 20:21:55

Oh gosh yes, H Mantel such a waste of time.

I was reading a Ray B in assembly when I was 15, got caught, teacher confiscated the book. When I went to get it back at the end of the day she denied all knowledge shock It was my dad's too. Can't remember the title, but remember the cover art quite well grin

pollywollydoodle Sat 08-Jun-13 20:22:03

reading Ian McEwen's "sweet tooth" for book group but not really enjoying it . i am annoyed because i want to start the brillantly titled "the thoughts and happenings of wilfred price,purveyor of superior funerals"

Wish I could catch some of my pupils reading sometimes - they seem to be allergic to books! I've only read, 'The Illustrated Man' iirc - what do you recommend?

cocolepew United States Sat 08-Jun-13 20:38:38

Just started If You Were Here by Alafair Burke this afternoon. Really enjoying it.

ItsallFeegle Sat 08-Jun-13 22:29:58

I've read Dodger - I really enjoyed it but was very disappointed with The World of Poo hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now