What are you reading today?

(176 Posts)
melodyangel Wed 05-Jun-13 12:53:56

That's it really. What are you ready at the moment and are you enjoying it?

I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 and loving it.

mumslife Wed 05-Jun-13 19:51:17

Between two mountains

OneHolyCow Wed 05-Jun-13 19:52:01

A Clash of Kings .. 2nd book in the Game of Thrones thing. Lots of planning and strategy so it still needs to come together 400 odd pages in.. for the long haul! So far not as good as the first one but it's promising to get gripping the second half. If not, I give up on the whole series. So there.

mumslife Wed 05-Jun-13 19:52:58

That was meant to be and the mountains echoed lol

The Storyteller- Jodie Picoult
Leftovers Stella Pearson (£1 on kindle, Pearshaped was also a £1) thinking chick lit.

Kasterborous England Wed 05-Jun-13 21:45:25

The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard. I'm enjoying it.

exoticfruits Wed 05-Jun-13 21:50:41

Bringing up the Bodies- Hilary Mantel. I think that I will enjoy if, once I get into it.

HelloBear Wed 05-Jun-13 21:52:33

Why be Happy When You Could Be Normal - jeannet wintertersons sort of autobiography, her version of Oranges Are Not the only colour.

Highly recomend it, I love her writing style, but it is also very sad.

HelloBear Wed 05-Jun-13 22:00:18

The only fruit not colour blush

GwenCooper81 Wed 05-Jun-13 22:05:51

Dan Brown's 'Inferno' DB books are my guilty pleasure smile . I'm really enjoying it.
I have the game of thrones books lined up on my Kindle next.

MortifiedAdams Wed 05-Jun-13 22:08:10

Just started The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Jumped Out of a Window. About 20 pages in. LIking it so far.

cq Wed 05-Jun-13 22:09:13

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt.

Just read her other one,Secret History, which was a fantastic piece of writing. Not since The Slap have I found an entire cast of flawed and unlikeable characters, but this was so much more compelling and classy.

Little Friend shaping up to be even better.

1Teaandsomecake Wed 05-Jun-13 22:11:50

Re reading anything by Iain Rankin at the mo, just felt the need. Have just finished reading 'Rough Music' by Partick Gayle - Ace

rubybambini Wed 05-Jun-13 22:25:26

Just finished HHhH, which I loved - the factual/fictional account of the assassination attempt on Reinhard Heydrich, who was the architect behind the Holocaust and Final Solution. It questions the role of the novelist when writing about a real-life event.

And now for something entirely different, starting 'Lean in' by Sheryl Sandberg tomorrow...

SuperScribbler Thu 06-Jun-13 06:52:45

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. First of her novels that I have read and am really enjoying.

BabeRuthless Thu 06-Jun-13 07:01:18

Remus It's not officially out for another couple of days but Waterstones had it in at the weekend. Apparently with book releases you can put them out when you get them, it's only the Dan Brown blockbuster stuff that's date embargoed.

AnonYonimousBird Thu 06-Jun-13 13:04:43

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. It's good, I'm drawn in, but overly long for what it is I think.

Desperate to get onto a slightly more page turner, lighter read in the sun over the weekend - The Sick Rose by Erin Kelly. Not exactly a laugh a minute, but I know I'll pile through it really quickly which is just what I need after a few slightly heavier ones in a row.

Galaxymum Thu 06-Jun-13 13:10:43

I've read a lot of great books lately and now just reading an enjoyable easy read Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell. It's a hefty book to carry around!

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 06-Jun-13 19:43:08

Today:

Poirot's early cases by Agatha Christie
Working Class Cultures, 1890-1960 by Joanna Bourke

Both supremely good in their own way.

mumslife Fri 07-Jun-13 12:50:14

reading the light between oceans good book not sure where i was getting mountains from before do want to read and the mountains echoed but have kite runner and thousand splendid suns to read first!

DuchessofMalfi Fri 07-Jun-13 13:03:05

I've just finished This Is How It Ends by Kathleen MacMahon. Well written, very good but so sad.

I'm starting Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann today. Looking forward to it.

PiratesLifeForMe Fri 07-Jun-13 17:18:03

Under the Dome by Stephen King. I had steered clear of his last few but saw this in a charity shop last week & haven't been able to put it down. An easy read but really enjoying it smile

grabaspoon Fri 07-Jun-13 19:08:00

The rose petals beach by Dorothy Koomson

thepurplepenguin Fri 07-Jun-13 20:08:32

One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

Read Case Histories quite some time ago, this is just as good so far...

BooksandaCuppa Fri 07-Jun-13 21:53:25

I've got four on the go too:

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran - very readable; I like the linking bits between the columns too,

Engleby by Sebastian Faulks - was really enjoying it but got to a dull-ish bit so picked up...

Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt - pretty (so far) compelling coming of age novel about a girl whose beloved uncle has died of AIDS...and...

re-reading All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman because I would like to recommend it to a group of 13-14 year olds and can't recall if it's suitable.

Engleby is the only one of SF's I've managed to finish, but it does get increasingly silly. His other stuff is positively abominable imho. smile I've finished all of mine bar 'Kim' (which I suspect I will never finish tbh).

Am now bookless until I go to the library tomorrow. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now