Steampunk recommendations?

(19 Posts)

I have just read Soulless, the first of the Parasol Protectorate series and really enjoyed it. When I googled the series it said that they were part of the steampunk genre. So...anyone got any other steampunk books for me to try- I really found these a relaxing read.

Thank you!

GoblinGranny Tue 21-May-13 18:15:19

Looking for light reading or heavy duty stuff?
I'm a fan of China Mieville, try Perdido Street Station.

This site will give you a list and reviews, so you can choose what suits you.
www.goodreads.com/list/show/14564.Best_Steampunk_Novels

Takver Tue 21-May-13 18:27:49

Not exactly steampunk, but the same kind of 'feel' IYKWIM - Ben (?) Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.

Thank you for these ideas. I really enjoyed Rivers of London books- I know what you meAn about having the right 'feel' while not being steampunk. Looking or ward to the new one.

I was just going to mention Perdido Street Station!

Will have a look at that list.

Goblin have you read any of his others? I abandoned both Kraken and The City as couldn't get into them. Kraken very like Neil Gaiman, IMO.

GoblinGranny Mon 27-May-13 22:03:42

I like Neil Gaiman's stuff too. You need to go to Waterstones and have a browse to see what's available and what you find interesting.
I've read The Scar, Un Lun Dun and Iron Council by Mieville. but you seem to be more into Victorian steampunk? Lighter in subject matter?

Try Jonathan Green, the Pax Britania series.

I recently read The Bookman (sorry, author escapes me) -- I really liked it, it was sort of insane but in a good way.

You could always try out some Jules Verne/HG Wells -- the original steampunk

archfiend Mon 27-May-13 22:15:28

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson is pretty good - it's a book I have re-read a number of times and has that Victorian/steam punk feel to it.

EmpressofTor Tue 28-May-13 11:19:41

Apart from being a Mum, I also edit and publish for Tor UK. Am China's editor... :-D
We have some more steampunk on our list if you like that sort of thing. Cherie Priest is widely recognised as the Queen of Steampunk - she did Boneshaker, Jay Kristoff is writing a cross between Across the Nightingale Floor and Japanese-inspired steampunk in Stormdancer.
Other UK publishers here, Orbit publishes Lillith St Crow, Gollancz has Chris Wooding...
And US lists have LOADS.

Takver Tue 28-May-13 22:18:10

I loved The City & The City, one of the best books I've read for ages, but I wouldn't have thought of it as steampunk?

EmpressofTor Wed 29-May-13 09:01:18

Nope, me neither. China tends to cross genres a lot! Perdido is more steam punk.

GoblinGranny Wed 29-May-13 10:28:00

I've been reading Sci fi and fantasy for over 40 years, all sorts of combinations and oddities. Then around five years ago, I picked up 'The Scar' and thought Wow!
I think China is one of the most original writers in the genre for a long time.

Takver Wed 29-May-13 10:55:24

There's some book suggestions here on Gail Carriger's webpage, which I guess would be worth following up if you liked Soulless particularly, OP?

I'm not massively into the genre and I'm told they're a bit "Steampunk Lite" but I LOVE the Glass Books ...err... books by GW Dahlquist. Yet to read the last of the trilogy myself but the first two were great and really absorbing.

I'd never thought of Jules Verne as part of the genre, but I am planning to study Around the world... With my class this half term- converting them young!

I can see my kindle being put to good use (in between report writing!).

Thank you all.

KelleStar Tue 25-Jun-13 21:49:08

Cheese Priest rocks! My husband likes the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding too.

KelleStar Tue 25-Jun-13 21:49:59

Cheque... Duh! I mean cherie but iPhone keeps trying different things.

KelleStar Tue 25-Jun-13 21:50:16

I give up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now