Lough out loud fiction/non-fiction?

(74 Posts)
FriedSprout Fri 17-May-13 18:46:51

Wonder if anyone could recommend their favourite funny books?

We are going through a tough time at the moment, and I can't remember when I last indulged in a good side-splitting roar.

If it helps I found Tom Sharpe's Wilt funny, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams too.

Want to do lots of these grin

Thanks

lilibet Sat 27-Jul-13 11:25:08

A Prayer for Owen Meany had me crying laughing twice. The nativity scene is the funniest thing that I have ever read. It's also an exceptionally wonderful book.

dementedma Thu 25-Jul-13 21:15:00

Can't believe no-one has mentioned John O'Farrell."The Best a Man can get" is brilliant, and "May contain nuts" could have been written for mumsnet! Second Bill Bryson, Gerald Durrell, Janet Evanovich.

MorrisZapp Thu 25-Jul-13 21:14:03

Sophie Hannah wrote two comic novels before she started with the snatched baby stuff. Cordial and Corrosive is one, and I forget the name of the other but it's about a married teacher falling in love with a monosyllabic teenager. They are both hilarious.

Adrian Mole also does it for me, and David Lodge of course.

Elinor Lipman is the mistress of cosy, American comedy of manners type stuff.

Alison Lurie is even better, and much sharper/ darker.

Pollaidh Thu 25-Jul-13 21:04:39

Sorry, meant anything, but Blandings in particular is good.

Pollaidh Thu 25-Jul-13 21:04:04

PG Wodehouse - anything but the Blandings series is particularly good.
Christopher Brookmyre - his earlier ones in particular make me writhe with laughter.
Stephen Fry - The Liar, The Hippopotamus are hilarious, the others, especially Making History and his 2 autobiographies, are also good.
Eva Ibbotson - Secret Countess, a teenager book but really very funny.
Catch 22
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - gentle but amusing
Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals
Sue Townsend - Queen and I
Anything by Jane Austen
Cold Comfort Farm

CelticPromise Tue 16-Jul-13 07:33:59

YY Misguided Lucky Jim is brilliant. Very very funny and the best description of a hangover I can think of.

Another Bill Bryson fan here, Notes from a Big Country is my favourite.

ladydepp Tue 16-Jul-13 07:27:58

The only one that made me laugh out loud on the Tube is Bridget Jones' Diary.

The Worst Date Ever by Jane Bussman is very funny too.

debz2 Mon 15-Jul-13 18:52:17

I laughed out loud at Miranda Hart's autobiography - (can't remember what it's called )

Also 'Various pets alive and dead' by Marina Lewycka

Joseph Connolly's 'Cycle of violence' I seem to remember being darkly humorous

JRsandCoffee Sat 13-Jul-13 18:56:46

Tim Moore's French Revolutions and also his Spanish Steps, both non fiction, hilarious both of them particularly the first if you have ever ridden a bike.....

antimatter Fri 12-Jul-13 16:56:30

Round ireland with a fridge (if not mentioned already)

Clawdy Thu 11-Jul-13 21:03:45

Yes, Diary of a Nobody is hilarious,can't believe a book written so long ago had me laughing aloud. The "hero" is a forerunner of David Brent!

itsallshitandmoreshit Fri 28-Jun-13 14:31:58

Nothing beats Diary of a Nobody. It's free, people of MN! The amount of money I've spent trying to find a book to make me laugh and I had tears rolling down my face with this book. I love it.

Cookie804 Fri 28-Jun-13 14:07:43

Terry Pratchetts' Disc World Series.

Christopher Moore is also very funny. Books like The stupidest Angel.

bawabod Fri 28-Jun-13 14:03:51

I second Emma Kennedy The Tent The Bucket and Me had me in fits of laughter

chirpchirp Wed 19-Jun-13 22:06:23

All the Danny Wallace, Dave Gorman and Charlie Brooker books.

I guess my sense of humour can be a bit dark and I loved all of John niven's book. Kill your friends is great, the amateurs was brilliant (never thought I'd say that about a book the centres around golf!)

Capital. ooops.

The last big snort was provoked by a poo scene in Captial by John Lanchester. I was on a plane and nearly knocked over my neighbour's G&T. The rest of the book is pretty good.

jodee Wed 19-Jun-13 15:55:49

My fave adult LOL books (Hitler, my part in his Downfall and Catch-22) already mentioned, can I add one of my LOL children's books, the classic Wind in the Willows - I love this exchange:

Chapter 1, The River Bank

Mole: 'This has been a wonderful day!' said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. `Do you know, I've never been in a boat before in all my life.'

`WHAT?' cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a .... you never .... well I ..... what have you been DOING, then?'

sillylily Tue 18-Jun-13 15:10:18

Confessions of a Bad Mother by Stephanie Calman (and her other books) made me giggle a lot

All of the Jon Ronson books I have read make me laugh a lot, even when you don't expect the subject matter to be funny at all, as in The Psychopath Test. Lost at Sea is good too.
Also:
Starter for Ten by David Nicholls - one scene in particular is hilarious
We Are All Made of Glue - Marina Lewycka

babybythesea Sat 08-Jun-13 22:27:06

www.amazon.co.uk/Happens-Youre-Making-Other-Plans/dp/0385180640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370726362&sr=8-1&keywords=teresa+bloomingdale

I love this author.
Her name is Teresa Bloomingdale. This is not her best one (IMO!). Her best is called "I should have seen it coming when the rabbit died" but that is £20 on Amazon!
She had 10 kids, starting in the early sixties and ending mid seventies. The books are essentially life with them - easy to read and I find them very funny. The later ones that have more of her life as an author are less so though.
I also like the little comments which are starting to ring slightly true as DDs get older. Like
"What is the best age to take kids on holiday? There are two best ages. One is when the oldest is 6 weeks old and sleeps the entire way there in a basket on the back seat. The other is when the youngest is 33 and would be thrilled at a weekend in Death Valley if it meant a bit of time away from her own kids." It's all tongue in cheek and might not be to everyone's taste but I find them an excellent fall back read when I need a giggle.

MisguidedAngel Sat 08-Jun-13 12:09:22

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis - the funniest of all his funny books. I've re-read this about six times and still snort.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 07-Jun-13 21:56:00

The Tent, the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy. About her camping trips with her parents in the 70s - that had me sniggering like mad. Best not read it if youre just about to go camping though...

OBface Thu 06-Jun-13 22:05:46

Any Jenny Eclair book, amazingly funny

BeyonceCastle Wed 05-Jun-13 00:10:41

non-fiction

Jon Ronson - the psychopath test

Excellent read.

Simon Garfield - the nation's favourite

Piss funny (Dealing with smashy nicey era of radio 1)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now