Lough out loud fiction/non-fiction?

(74 Posts)
FriedSprout Fri 17-May-13 18:46:51

Wonder if anyone could recommend their favourite funny books?

We are going through a tough time at the moment, and I can't remember when I last indulged in a good side-splitting roar.

If it helps I found Tom Sharpe's Wilt funny, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams too.

Want to do lots of these grin

Thanks

PG Wodehouse
Jasper Fforde

LovelyMarchHare Fri 17-May-13 19:36:00

David Sedaris

cocolepew Fri 17-May-13 19:38:42

Another vote for David Sedaris.
Stephanie Plum books.
Spike Milligans war diaries.
Bill Bryson.

Sidge Fri 17-May-13 19:39:18

This book had me in stitches, real LOL funny!. It's not highbrow literature but will make you giggle.

MartyrStewart Fri 17-May-13 19:39:49

Bill Bryson
Christopher Brookmyre

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 17-May-13 19:40:09

Bill Bryson - The Life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid.
Laughed so much at this pool side that a man asked me what I was reading so he could go and buy a copy too.

Primadonnagirl Fri 17-May-13 19:44:23

Just finished "The Supremes at Big Earls All You Can Eat"...there's a wedding scene that I laughed at hysterically..luckily I was on my own..it's a fab book by a first time novelist..if you liked The Help you will love this

FriedSprout Fri 17-May-13 20:24:11

Some really exciting suggestions here, heard David Sedaris on radio didn't realise he wrote books blush now on my list. Spike Milligan? Not read anything of his for years, do they stand the test of time I wonder? Only one way to find out.
PG Wodehouse, Bill Bryson, yes,yes, yes
Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs: (She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse) WTF - am buying that one for the title alone grin

Christopher Brookmyre, not ringing any bells, but quick look on Amazon and am liking look of "Quite Ugly One Morning" - the title of which IS ringing some bells!
The supremes at big earls all you can eat not stocked by Amazon which means I will have to outside - Yikes!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, am looking forward to many Tena Lady Moments very soon grin

Primadonnagirl Fri 17-May-13 20:38:47

Fried I got the supremes at Waterstones if that helps

Marking place! grin

Read:

Catch 22
Love in a Cold Climate
A Handful of Dust & Vile Bodies & The Loved One (and anything by Waugh...)
Pale Fire
The Diary of a Nobody
Nights at the Circus

All have made me snort inappropriately on public transport!

OH and Two Men In A Boat is a must! SO hilarious

Primadonnagirl Fri 17-May-13 20:56:13

Snorting inappropriately on public transport is the ultimate test!!Also..annoying your partner by reading bits out loud..which of course they don't find funny cos they haven't read the rest of the book !

ariadneoliver Fri 17-May-13 20:59:44

The Battle for Room Service: Journeys to All the Safe Places possibly a bit dated now, but still funny. The chapter on Switzerland is the highlight in my view.

Thewhingingdefective Fri 17-May-13 21:02:58

Anything by Charlie Brooker or Caitlin Moran.

Mumsnet Rules

Letters From A Nut by Ted L Nancy

More Letters From A Nut By Ted L Nancy

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon was the last fiction that made me laugh.

juneybean Fri 17-May-13 23:31:42

Sophie Kinsella's books make me laugh but they really are chicklit

HeavenlyYoni Fri 17-May-13 23:34:23

Catherine Alliot

ItsallisnowaFeegle Fri 17-May-13 23:42:30

I'm really struggling to enjoy Christopher Brookmyer's 'A big boy did it and ran away', despite being Scottish (I know it has nothing really to do with anything. I'm just homesick).

I keep meaning to get back to it, as I hate not seeing a book through to the end.

YY, Bill Bryson is great! I'd also recommend Russell Brand's 'My Booky Wook'. I really started to like him when I was reading it.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 18-May-13 06:24:53

Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island had me crying with laughter.

I keep recommending Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series - they are so funny. One For The Money is the first in the series.

Tim Moore's French Revolutions makes me weep, and Emma Kennedy's The Tent, the Bucket and Me.

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 18-May-13 06:42:11

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Stuart Maconie is my hero.....laugh out loud and lovely little tender bits as well.

(now I was recommended David Sedaris after lending my friend BB and I hated him....)

lljkk Sat 18-May-13 08:13:39

How to Talk to a Widower, Never suck on a dead man's hand.

I know it's a kid series, but the Donut Diaries are pretty funny, too.

Ulysses Sat 18-May-13 08:18:25

Loads of people have beaten me already to suggest Bill Bryson.

notnowImreading Sat 18-May-13 08:21:40

I know a lot of people don't like her on here, but I absolutely (almost literally, had to cross legs and really concentrate) pmsl at India Knight's first two books, My Life on a Plate and Don't You Want Me. It's her similes that get me. They are quite smug, though, which doesn't bother me at all but I know bugs a lot of readers.

Wise Children by Angela Carter is wonderful. It's proper literature but also really funny with an elderly ex-chorus girl narrator who can 'still kick a leg higher than the average dog'.

lljkk Sat 18-May-13 09:39:23

Actually, probably another down market one, but "A Tiny Bit of Marvellous" (Dawn French) is very droll in its own way, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now