Murder Mysteries, detective stories, and so on. Any recommendations?

(55 Posts)

I have almost run out of authors to read. I have recently been reading the books by Donna Leon (featuring Commissario Brunetti) after reading a thread on here, but I can't find that thread and wonder if there are any other authors people might recommend?

Most of my previous reading has been about the older detectives, eg Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh (Inspector Alleyn) and so on. I also used to read Dell Shannon (Lt Luis Mendoza) when I could get hold of the books.

I'm not bothered whether the author writes contemporary or historical stories, or about location. It's just that I like a good story where I try to guess the ending.

Thanks.

How about Phryne Fisher investigates?

1920s Melbourne lady detective

sherbetpips Fri 17-May-13 13:12:55

Not harlen coben - every book is as follows: someone loved goes missing, nasty things start to happen, missing person is to blame, missing person dies, main character falls in love with missing persons other half. Worth reading one though I guess.
Dragon Tattoo series is amazing but heavy.
For a very very light detective read try the Ivy Malone series. Little old lady who due to being old and therefore 'invisible' to most people makes a pretty good detective - be warned though these are very light hearted read in a day sort of books but a nice break from the likes of Dragon Tatoo and Cross. Have fun

ProphetOfDoom Fri 17-May-13 13:15:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

weebarra Fri 17-May-13 13:59:41

yy to Lindsay Davis and Jasper Fforde!

Shanghaidiva Fri 17-May-13 14:06:39

Jo Nesbo
Dragon Tattoo series
Colin Dexter
Josephine Tey - lighter than the others
Henning Mankell
Sophie Hannah - psychological suspense
Ian Rankin

KittenofDoom Fri 17-May-13 17:30:22

Margaret Yorke. Never see her mentioned anywhere, but her novels are quite similar to Ruth Rendell's. There are some with a detective and other standalone psychological thrillers.

Em2121 Fri 17-May-13 17:32:02

These are great historical ones....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imogen-Robertson/e/B0034PD69K/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1368808253&sr=8-2-ent

I vaguely remember reading some books about a Mrs Pargetter, written by Simon somebody, which weren't bad.

I do have some Cadfael (not bad) and I've read some ancient Egyptian themsed books by I think Paul Doherty, which also weren't bad.

monsterchild Fri 17-May-13 23:40:06

Michael Cruz Smith, great mood and I love the settings.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 18-May-13 18:23:51

Ok, have just checked the shelves. Dh also likes Catriona McPherson's books, with the detective Dandy Gilver.

weebarra if you like detective books set in Norfolk, have you come across Chris Crowther's books? He's written four to date, set in the Norfolk Broads. Very realistic and enjoyable. He sells them locally in Norfolk and also through his website - google will find him!

cocolepew Sat 18-May-13 18:28:35

I love Harlan shock
Dennis LeHane
Robert Crais
Michael Connelly
Peter James
Peter Robinson
Sue Grafton
John Sandford 'Prey' series
Nelson De Mille
Chelsea Cain
Oliver Stark
Julianne Hoffman
PJ Tracey
Jonathan Kellerman
Faye Kellerman

MrsBungle Sat 18-May-13 18:35:29

My favourites are:

Karin slaughter
Patricia Cornwall (the earlier ones are the best)
Tess gerritson
I love tthe Jenny cooper series by m r hall

NigelMolesworth Sat 18-May-13 18:43:10

My all time favourite Reginald Hill for the Dalziel and Pascoe series and the Joe Sixsmith books
Alison Bruce - DC Goodhew
Anne Holt

I enjoy:
Shaming Flint - Inspector Singh mysteries
The early Patricia Cornwall ones
Colin Cotterill - the Coroners lunch series

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sun 19-May-13 06:49:22

Can I add Stuart Pawson (DI Charlie Priest)? Set in modern day Yorkshire. Fab detective novels but not as well known as they should be.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-May-13 07:01:14

Peter James books are really good.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-May-13 07:03:11

Oh and also the Elly griffiths books are good, if slightly unbelievable.

Tha Maisie Raine series by Jaqueline Winspear. They're wonderful smile.

MrsBodger Sun 19-May-13 07:15:48

Trying to think of some things other people haven't already suggested:

Father Brown stories by GK Chesterton -old fashioned, funny, short
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - a big fat book set in mediaeval Italy, but a great read, big big hit in its day
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - one of the earliest detective stories
Sherlock Holmes
Judge Dee mysteries by Robert Van Gulik - C8th Chinese detective

and for more recent books, I've just read Gillespie and I by Jane Harris, which I really really enjoyed. Also Capital by John Lanchester, which has quite a strong mystery element.

Will keep an eye on this thread, lots of great suggestions . . .

Val McDermott - The Tony Hill ones are very good. Also several of her stand alones are great too.

Second (third / fifth!!) James Patterson, his Womens Detective Club ones are a good read too and he always writes very short chapters so perfect for sneaking in a quick read!

cocolepew Sun 19-May-13 10:17:01

Greg Hurwirzt is good too.

deeplybaffled Tue 21-May-13 23:40:26

Definitely second Anne Perry, both the Thomas Pitt ones and the William monk ones. Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books are brilliant, as are Peter lovesey's Peter diamond books. Anthea Fraser should be better known imho. And I love most dick francis bookssmile

Karenblixen Mon 03-Jun-13 21:14:27

I am a massive fan of Donna Leon as well and have read all the Commissario Brunetti novels! Including the cookbook grin

What about Fruttero et Lucentini? Spooky mystery.

Henry James "The turn of the screw" I have been too frightened to read it so far

run4it Mon 03-Jun-13 21:22:55

I'd add kristina ohlsson and lee child to this list!

MikeLitoris Mon 03-Jun-13 21:31:31

Stuart Mcbride. The logan Mcray books. Some are a bit gruesome but they have sone funny bits too.

For something a bit different ty The Rivers of london books, Ben something or other. I didnt expect to like them but really got into them after just a few pages.

I also second karin slaughter, harlen coben and richard montinari. I loved the Kevin Byrne/Jessica Balzano books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now