Irish literary fiction

(30 Posts)
TeddyMercury Tue 14-May-13 20:28:34

I am on the lookout for some fiction set in Ireland - ideally where the 'set in Ireland' aspect isn't incidental. The obvious stuff (Angela's Ashes etc) I will probably have read. I enjoyed Any Human Season very much, if that's any guide...

I prefer literary fiction (nothing against Marion Keyes at all, but I'm not keen on those sort of 'light reads')

Any suggestions?

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 17:33:46

I've read a memoir called Don't Wake Me At Doyles by Maura Murphy. It's absolutely amazing and should be read. It's about her life in a poor family from birth (1920's) until present day, and her life has been pretty extraordinary. It describes Irish life in those times quite well, I felt. Try it!

My Left Foot is really good too (though pretty obvious)

icetip Sun 26-May-13 21:17:04

Try Joyce's Dubliners. Short stories, all very readable (no Finnegan's Wake) and the closing story The Dead is, in my opinion, one of the finest pieces of writing ever.

Badvoc Tue 28-May-13 12:52:46

Roddy Doyle

NomNomDePlum Tue 28-May-13 13:10:10

i've just read claire kilroy's the devil i know, a good read if you're interested in novels about contemporary ireland. also recommend short stories by clare keegan and kevin barry (i would avoid his novel though, it's completely asinine). skippy dies by paul murray also pretty good.

MerkinMaker Fri 31-May-13 23:35:19

I enjoyed the two Dublin books by Edward Rutherfurd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now