Hunger Games Book - any good?

(44 Posts)
DoodleAlley Mon 13-May-13 16:22:36

That's it really is it any good? It seems slightly teenagery rather than an adult book, is that the case?

I've not seen the film and don't want any plot spoilers please.

They are quite an easy read, but still worth reading. I found the second half of the third book quite disturbing in content.

DoodleAlley Tue 14-May-13 09:43:07

Only part of it when I was younger valium.

I'm not sure I can handle anymore tension today! But it's a good suggestion.

I was going to change the pace and re-read to kill a mockingbird but really frustratingly there isn't a kindle edition.

valiumredhead Tue 14-May-13 10:01:34

Or Brave New World. I can't wait for ds to be just a bit older and read 1984 and BNW as he loved The Hunger Games and we discussed the books for days after <yawn> wink

DoodleAlley Tue 14-May-13 10:11:47

I'd heard BNW was on a similar theme.

I think maybe I need a slightly more relaxing book next time - I can't afford to keep going through a book a night!

valiumredhead Tue 14-May-13 10:20:20

I have a shocking Kindle habit, I have never read so much in my life since getting one!

DoodleAlley Tue 14-May-13 10:34:00

I didn't think about the cost after I bought a kindle. Got it to help me stay awake during night feeds. But I do need to branch out to new authors to make it worthwhile. And keep me awake.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-May-13 10:36:23

The first one was an easy read. The second and third were tiresome and dull IMO. Good premise for a story but not well told iykwim.

valiumredhead Tue 14-May-13 10:50:58

I agree get they just bored me but they aren't for adults they are written for older children. Mind you, I didn't get the whole Harry Potter thing either.

KittenofDoom Tue 14-May-13 13:18:08

I enjoyed the first one, but have abandoned the second one. I think the first one was a complete story in itself, then publishers' greed forced a trilogy out of it.

Try Stephen King's novellas "The Long Walk" and "The Running Man", similar kind of premise.

kittykat10 Tue 14-May-13 13:33:54

i really enjoyed the 2nd one read it in 2 days , i didnt get on woith the first but had the 2nd one in my car when i went away and loved it struggling a bit with the 3rd

UseHerName Tue 14-May-13 20:03:16

readable - just as long as you bear in mind that they are written for young adults

KittenofDoom Tue 14-May-13 20:35:49

readable - just as long as you bear in mind that they are written for young adults

I don't understand this kind of remark. I've no idea why certain books are designated as being for "young adults" - I was devouring books like THG when I was 8 or 9 years old and enjoyed it just as much at my present advanced age blush. But I have cheerfully lowbrow tastes.

UseHerName Tue 14-May-13 20:38:46

I agree KittenofDoom - reading 'Flowers in the Attic' much to my mother's disgust grin

I just meant they're commonly referred to as 'young adult fiction'

KittenofDoom Tue 14-May-13 21:52:25

But why? What are the criteria?

UseHerName Tue 14-May-13 22:08:23

oh I don't know confused

Mom268 Fri 17-May-13 16:52:27

I read it after my dd and even though it was a bit teenagery, was quick and still a good read smile

KittenofDoom Fri 17-May-13 17:24:16

By "teenagery", do you mean that the main protagonists are teenagers?

valiumredhead Sat 18-May-13 18:12:36

I expect teenagery means simple story line, easy to read and strung out over 3 books wink

marissab Sun 19-May-13 20:32:14

If you liked it but want something more adult, go for battle royale next. Similar story (i bet it was the inspiration for hg) but gory and gripping. Love it. But only if you like a bit of gore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now