Best book ever?

(14 Posts)
HarveyPotter Sun 12-May-13 23:04:56

I have just read Bridget Jones' Dairy and its brilliant. Any other books in this vain?

MayimBialik Sun 12-May-13 23:18:00

The Edge of Reason?

SavoyCabbage Sun 12-May-13 23:23:59

Adrian Mole? The ones where he is an adult.

WHEELYMUM1976 Mon 20-May-13 11:46:12

I love ture storys

CoteDAzur Mon 20-May-13 19:36:50

Bridget Jones' Diary is "the best book ever", is it? shock

Without meaning to hurt your feelings, may I ask how many books you have read... ever?

travellingwilbury Mon 20-May-13 19:38:50

What cote said !

GoodbyePorkPie Tue 21-May-13 15:42:00

grin

I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith is my all time fave. Has been since I was 14 smile

whatwoulddexterdo Tue 21-May-13 16:36:23

Crikey didn't realize you had to have a degree in english lit to comment on these boards.

travellingwilbury Tue 21-May-13 16:48:30

I was just surprised that's all .

If we all liked the same things blah blah de blah .

CoteDAzur Wed 22-May-13 07:58:17

We don't all like the same things and people don't need a Lit degree to comment here.

However, holding up Bridget Jones' Diary as "Best Book Ever" does merit acknowledgement, and it is not unreasonable to ask OP about her reading history - in which library does Bridget Jones' Diary rise to the status of best book ever? Enquiring minds want to know smile

DuchessofMalfi Wed 22-May-13 08:13:20

"Best Book Ever" is such a personal thing though. Maybe something about Bridget Jones' Diary resonates with the OP. When I read it I loved it too. It made me laugh. At the time I wasn't married and didn't have children, and lived in a flat. Some things about Bridget's life were familiar.

But I've moved on. I don't think I've found the best book ever yet, but I'm enjoying looking for it grin One person may love Middlemarch and think it the best book ever, another may love Bridget Jones for the same reason. It's personal.

CoteDAzur Wed 22-May-13 08:24:22

Yes, a lot of people enjoyed it when it came out about a decade ago. I was one of them.

"Best book ever" is an objective assessment - i.e. the best book ever published, the best book ever to be written in the English language, etc.

What you are thinking of would be "my favourite book", which is indeed a subjective and personal evaluation, to which nothing can be said.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 22-May-13 08:47:40

I wonder whether there could ever be a "best book ever" in that case. How would you get everyone to agree on one book? Favourite book is a much easier one to debate. It's probably better to call it "my best/favourite book ever".

But in any case I'll have a think about some suggestions for the OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now