Georgette Heyer - which book to read first?

(40 Posts)
Grockle Fri 10-May-13 12:28:35

I see her raved about on here and fancy having a read... which book would you recommend?

LadyDamerel Sat 11-May-13 16:50:11

Arabella and Black Sheep are good ones to start with - neither are too long but good heroes/heroines.

Same with Lady of Quality, actually.

I love, love, love Frederica though.

Are we helping you make a decision? grin

TunipTheVegedude Sat 11-May-13 16:50:22

Well I've gone and bought The Black Moth for my Kindle because it was cheaper than everything else and it got good reviews but now I've read the book club thread I'm thinking I shouldn't start with that one.

LadyDamerel Sat 11-May-13 16:52:26

(As an irrelevant aside, JeanPaget, I love your namesake. A Town Like Alice is one of my all time favourite books. And Joe Harman is just gorgeous, you lucky thing.)

LadyDamerel Sat 11-May-13 16:54:01

Tunip, just bear in mind, it was her first ever novel, written when she was a teenager so isn't representative of her later works. If you hate it, try one of her later novels, before you write her off.

JeanPaget Sat 11-May-13 16:59:32

Thanks LadyDamerel blush I sometimes worry that people who haven't read the book think I've completely missed MN etiquette and am just using my own name...

I'm likewise very keen on your namesake (obviously)!

LadyDamerel Sat 11-May-13 17:04:08

Maybe I should change to MrsJoeHarman grin.

TunipTheVegedude Sat 11-May-13 17:33:08

LadyDamerel - yes, it said on the other thread she was 17 shock

Some people are just so blooming talented, aren't they?!

LeonieDeSainteVire Sat 11-May-13 19:06:36

Yes but even a talented 17 year old had a lot to learn. If you make it through The Black Moth then follow it up with These Old Shades. If you don't like it enough to finish please do try a later one anyway.

I'm shock that anyone could not like These Old Shades!

Grockle Sat 11-May-13 21:28:07

OH wow, thank you so much. I'm not well so am looking for easy reads that are well written - Heyer sounds right up my street. I'm making a list of your suggestions but I'm tempted to start with Frederica.

edam Sat 11-May-13 22:03:07

You won't regret it. grin

LeonieDeSainteVire Sat 11-May-13 22:57:01

Oh yes Frederica is great. Georgette Heyer herself wrote about one of her books (can't remember which) that it would be an ideal light read for someone recovering from 'flu, so hopefully just what you are looking for OP.

Horry, I meant 'not like' The Black Moth not TOS of course smile

Chubfuddler Sat 11-May-13 23:01:25

If I love agatha Christie, and nancy Mitford and Jane Austen am I likely to enjoy these?

I'm not too keen on These Old Shades...but love Devil's Cub

edam Sat 11-May-13 23:25:32

Yes, chub, you sound just about ready to join the Heyer fan club.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now