agatha christie recs

(40 Posts)
marissab Fri 10-May-13 09:31:03

I want a gripping read for my hols. Love classic who dunnits on tv and have devoured the entire works of sherlock holmes so thought i might try an agatha christie. Which one should i go for?

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 06-Jun-13 18:24:04

I know OP already bought the books, but thought I would comment anyway.

I love Murder on the Orient Express. I read others as a teenager and can't remember much, but this year I am reading all the Poirot novels in order... Having lots of fun although haven't got very far yet.

Louise1956 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:42:57

hercule Poirot's Christmas is my favourite Poirot novel, I also like Cards on the Table very much ,and the ABC Murders, Mrs McGinty's Dead.

a Murder Is Announced is my favourite Miss Marple, followed by A Carribean Mystery and At Bertram's Hotel.

towards Zero, featuring Superintendant Spence, is another favourite, and I like a non series one, Ordeal By Innocence, ver much. by the Pricking of My Thumbs is my favourite Tommy and Tuppence story.

marissab Sat 18-May-13 18:26:16

Remus, 39 steps is one of my faves. Unput down able. Back from hols and am 1/2 way through miss marple. I'm enjoying it but omg, how middle class??? But i'm looking past that and just enjoying the story on face value. It's good fun so far.

Ooh yes to Wilkie Collins. I am having an I love Wilkie phase at the moment.

Lady Audely's Secret is okay but not great imho due to the fussiness and morality of the writer.

What about The 39 Steps?

KittenofDoom Mon 13-May-13 14:42:06

Another prolific writer of whodunnits was Ngaio Marsh. She's contemporary with Agatha Christie. You might give her a try too.

marissab Mon 13-May-13 10:27:50

Ok snazzy, i have gone for the 3 miss marples. I never spend £9.99 on kindle! Eek! I prefered poirot on tv to marple but i want a light hearted read so should be just the ticket grin

Snazzynewyear Sun 12-May-13 22:42:17

Collins' argh!

Snazzynewyear Sun 12-May-13 22:42:03

Also I'd echo the recommendation for M. E. Braddon's Lady Audley's Secret and for more of Wilkie Collin's detective stuff. You'll be able to get free electronic versions of both. Christie is difficult for that because only the very early ones are out of copyright.

Snazzynewyear Sun 12-May-13 22:39:20

You can get collections of about four in one volume. I bought a couple of these years ago and read them at Christmas. Bliss.

I like Miss Marple better than Poirot (he gets irritating about his own cleverness, for me) and would recommend Murder At The Vicarage, The Body In The Library, At Bertram's Hotel, 4.50 from Paddington.

Can't remember if you have a kindle but a three-volume text of Vicarage/Library/Finger smile is 9.99 for the kindle version atm.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 12-May-13 22:30:38

The Moving Finger is a brilliant one. I also love Five Little Pigs, The Pale Horse, Nemesis, After the Funeral and The Hollow.

DomesticEntrepreneur Sun 12-May-13 22:26:11

Ooh, forgot that I also second Josephine Tey. Sadly forgotten now as an author. My agent once told me I write like her <proud>

DomesticEntrepreneur Sun 12-May-13 22:23:15

<jumping in with both feet>

LOVE Christie. Miss Marple is my favourite but I enjoy the Poirot novels as well, Tommy and Tuppence not so much.

And Then There Were None is really creepy. Actually quite horrifying. I have a print copy of when it had its highly un-PC original title.

Cards on the Table is a great Poirot novel. And of course, Murder on the Orient Express is a classic.

All of the Marples. Nemesis is my favourite but probably not the best one to start with.

Second The Pale Horse. Again, really quite creepy.

Second KittenofDoom's suggestion of The Talented Mr Ripley. Excellent.

John Fowles' The Collector is a book that I've been able to read once and never want to read again, for fear of spoiling perfection.

KittenofDoom Sun 12-May-13 18:11:43

Re the Hitchcock films, I would recommend anything by Patricia Highsmith (author of "Strangers on a Train").

She also wrote the Ripley novels, best (but not essential) to read those in order starting with "The Talented Mr Ripley".

I like HUGE books to take on holiday. smile I've been trawling the charity shops for a big fat Hercule P collection but with no success.

Clawdy Sun 12-May-13 12:37:58

Then take two or three! It's funny how different we all are,I love Poirot, like Miss M, but really dislike Tommy and T.

I like old Hercule and hate Miss M. I don't think Agatha C is much good for a holiday read though because they are v v short.

Clawdy Sat 11-May-13 18:53:13

Lots of charity shops have a Christie collection. The earlier ones are the best,I love The Hollow and Evil Under The Sun. Endless Night is a rather different read,too.

Ashoething Sat 11-May-13 09:20:54

I love Agatha Christie-I wanted to call my dd Agatha but dh vetoed itangry

My favourites are-

Nemesis
Cat among the pigeons
N or M
At Bertrams Hotel
By the pricking of my thumbs-my all time favourite!-is a tommy and tuppence book.

nettie Fri 10-May-13 20:19:16

envy stickortwist.

Would second "The Floating Admiral" and the Josephine Tey one about Richard III.

AnonYonimousBird Fri 10-May-13 19:03:56

The murder of roger ackroyd.

Genius

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 10-May-13 18:18:48

heroine, not herring blush

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 10-May-13 18:18:01

'After the Funeral' is my favourite.
Also, very highly recommend 'The Floating Admiral' by the Detective Club.
Amazingly clever book - was a syndicate effort, written by members of the detection club - eg, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers (my herring!!), GK Chesterton and others. They used to meet up, and then wrote a book, each wrote a chapter, and the later contributors had no idea what the earlier chapter writes had in mind as a solution... Sheer genius, and very readable if just as a straight story.

stickortwist Fri 10-May-13 18:13:36

And then there were none is my favourite book ever! Just to show off I read it for the first time on Burgh island amazing!!!
Definitely read it

kneedeepindaisies Fri 10-May-13 18:10:16

I love N or M. In fact I love most of AC's books. Death in the Clouds is good.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 10-May-13 18:07:03

Try dick Francis as well. All very readable. All who dunnits around horse racing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now