Books set in Greece?

(40 Posts)
Clawdy Thu 09-May-13 18:04:09

Going on holiday to Crete in two weeks. Any recommendations for a good holiday read set in Greece? I've already read a couple of Mary Stewart novels with a Greek background.

peachypips Thu 09-May-13 20:15:27

The Island is indeed shite. The concept was good, but the biggest flop ever.

CoteDAzur Fri 10-May-13 10:05:08

The Island is utter rubbish. Don't even think about reading it.

Middlesex is about three generations of a Greek family but doesn't take place in Greece. It is a very good book, though.

eminemmerdale Fri 10-May-13 10:13:47

I was told you weren't supposed to 'get' The magus. Conchis is a magician with a lot of money who simply liked to mess up peoples heads and Nicholas deserved it. Still love it though grin <off to reread>

AnonYonimousBird Fri 10-May-13 10:17:21

The House on Paradise Street by Sofka Zinovieff (check spelling!)

BRILLIANT!!!

Lots of recent Greek history and character through it. I see Greece in a completely different light now after reading both that and The Thread (which isn't bad - worth reading simply to learn about Greece).

OnFoot Fri 10-May-13 10:23:43

I liked the Island, but not Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Sara Alexi's Greek Village series is pleasant light reading and less than £2 each on kindle.

Mary Renault, The King Must Die.

PeasandCucumbers Mon 13-May-13 17:17:03

I'll second The Thread. Good read with interesting history thrown in

BeeBawBabbity Mon 13-May-13 19:39:36

I second the Gerald Durrell books. Wasn't a fan of The Island.

ADefiniteMaybe Mon 13-May-13 19:46:07

I really enjoyed The Island - easily her best and I also loved My Family And Other Animals. Have fun!

auntierozzi Mon 13-May-13 19:51:03

www.amazon.co.uk/Petros-Markaris/e/B001JX3JQY/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1368470820&sr=1-1
Inspector Costas Haritos is a bit like a Greek Rebus if you are in the mood! You definitely get an idea of what it's like to live in Greece now.

Second Mary Renault and Patrick Leigh-Fermor
Nikos Kazantzakis (who was Cretan) - Faber & Faber do translations

Kerfuffled Wed 19-Jun-13 21:39:16

I'm glad I've found this thread. I'm off to order some of the Lawrence Durrell books and The Magus sounds fascinating too. I'd like to give a mention to Anne Zouroudi who has been mentioned further up the thread. She writs about a Greek detective of sorts, Hermes Diaktorous, and paints a vivid picture of village life in Greece. I'm currently 3/4 of the way through her latest offering, The Feast of Artemis.

The Feast of Artemis

Hassled Wed 19-Jun-13 21:40:55

The Magus is a brilliant book - one of those books everyone should read.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Wed 19-Jun-13 21:41:45

I loved The Magus.

Ioanna27 Thu 22-Aug-13 16:03:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now