Anyone else hate Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic?

(15 Posts)

I hated this book with a passion but most people rave about it...what am I missing?

The main character is a totally self absorbed airhead who somehow gets the guy & a fab job...I just wanted to smack her. Please assure me I'm not the only one?

dc1961 Tue 07-May-13 21:27:24

Me too. I have read a few Sophie Kinsella's - well, I say "read" but mean "started but not finished"!!! I found the vacant and boring. Actually they made me cross and I too just wanted to smack her and her silly husband for allowing her behaviour.....oh, and her mother, friends, boss, etc......lol. you're definitely NOT the only one!!

I get frustrated by Becky, but I still really enjoy the books and love some of her other stand alone books. But I know quite a few people who don't like the books at all, so you're not alone!

Shlurpbop Tue 07-May-13 21:42:17

Hate all the books - Becky just gets worse and worse. Film wound me up too!

Bowlersarm Tue 07-May-13 21:44:01

No i enjoyed them. But I think they have been around for a while now-therefore a bit outdated?

olivertheoctopus Tue 07-May-13 21:45:45

All utter shite IMO!

Bluestocking Tue 07-May-13 21:49:42

They are absolute drivel. Why on earth are you reading them? There's better chick lit to be found, I'm sure.

Clarabumps Tue 07-May-13 21:51:09

shite!!

I read the first one years ago, thought about it again after someone recommended Sophie Kinsella on another thread on here.

Glitterkitten24 Tue 07-May-13 21:54:35

I read the books in my early 20s and loved them, but re read then recently and found Becky really irritating.

I decided it was cos I was all grown up and adult now! <preens>

LuckyLuckyMe Tue 07-May-13 21:54:59

That book was hours of my life I would like to have back.

Fairyloo Tue 07-May-13 21:55:09

I love those ones but the newest one about a missing wedding right is just so stupid confusedconfusedconfused

TwllBach Tue 07-May-13 21:56:36

I read it and the sequel and did hate them. BUT tey are really easy to read and... I've run out of excuses grin

DemelzaPoldark Wed 08-May-13 22:09:24

I quite like a bit of escapist chick lit but couldn't stand this pile of shite. In fact it was thrown in the bin with force. I really enjoyed that bit.

I hated Shopaholic but do like the stand alone Kinsella books. Maybe it's because I'm not a girly girl and I'm still wearing clothes I bought 20 years ago but the whole shopping being more important than anything else in life was just completely alien to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now