Quite fancy starting to read Terry Pratchett but not sure which one to start with . . .

(84 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Tue 07-May-13 17:21:53

any ideas?

OrangeFireandGoldashes Sat 18-May-13 13:27:16

"I started with Guards Guards, got hooked and decided to start at the beginning."

Me too, in the very early 90s at the point when there was only Eric and possibly Moving Pictures already published after it (I definitely remember waiting impatiently for Reaper Man to come out). If I'd started with CoM / LF I doubt I'd have perservered, because I don't read conventional fantasy (if that's not an oxymoron) and they are very much a parody of that genre so no doubt most of the satire went straight over my head, plus as others have said he was still finding his 'voice' - compare the Granny Weatherwax of ER with the later incarnation, for instance - but knowing that they evolved into the delights of Guards, Guards kept me at it. And I do love The Luggage.

Wyrd Sisters was the one that then rubber-stamped my love for TP, having studied Macbeth at A level, and ever since the Witches and the Watch have been my favourites.

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 17:15:25

My absolute favorite is Reaper Man it's completely amazing. Read it. READ IT NOW! grin

his other best books (IMHO) are;
Small Gods
Thud!
The Wee Free Men Series
Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
(The latter two being young adult). Like everyone's said, it doesn't really matter where you start, they don't have to be read in any particular order

GoingGoingGoth Costa Rica Mon 27-May-13 17:44:07

I will sit on the fence and and say to either start from the beginning, or read the Watch books first.

Also wanted to point out that Radio 4 extra is starting a serialisation of Night Watch tonight at 6. grin My Favourite

PiratesLifeForMe Mon 27-May-13 20:10:20

I started with Mort and loved it - but don't think you can go too far wrong if you started with either the Witches or the City watch books.

Louise1956 Tue 04-Jun-13 23:20:13

the first one, The Colour of Magic, is very good and might be a good one to start with. I personally like the ones about the witch Granny Weatherwax very much, the first of those is Equal Rites, which is another good one. guards! guards! Is the first of a number about the Night Watch, and is quite a good one. my personal favourites, and their main characters, are;
Reaper Man (Death and the Wizards)
witches Abroad ( Granny Weatherwax and Co)
the Last Continent (the wizards, and their housekeeper)
the Fifth Elephant (the Night Watch)
going Postal (a dashing conman)
unseen Academicals (the Wizards and their servants)

the Discworld has changed somewhat over time, in recent novels it has become less magical, and there tend to be fewer laughs and more discussion of social issues.

BooCanary Tue 04-Jun-13 23:23:17

Totally agree that Good Omens is a great book to start.

CaurnieBred Thu 13-Jun-13 00:52:12

Does anyone else, when disobeying the instructions they have been given by their Satnav, imagine there is an Imp in there screaming "I told you to go the other way!!!". Or is that just me . . .

CaurnieBred Thu 13-Jun-13 00:52:39

Oh, and I love Vimes and anything to do with the NightWatch.

NotDead Thu 13-Jun-13 01:21:56

don't do it! it will end up with 16-sided dice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now