The fallout from China's one-child policy...gripping new novel

(12 Posts)
Corygal Mon 06-May-13 20:16:22

It's a major scadal, isn't it, and gendercide to boot.

I wish MN would have Ma Jian on for a webchat - he has young kids himself. He must have been heartbroken doing the research.

cornypringle Mon 06-May-13 20:01:09

throughgrittedteeth - it's heartbreaking isn't it

I remember when ds2 was born 12 years ago there was a photo in the newspaper of a dead baby lying in the gutter in China. People were just stepping over the poor thing.

It really hit home as ds2 was a day old and this poor baby also looked full term. Horrific.

cornypringle Mon 06-May-13 19:57:29

That article is shocking.

I'm really looking forward to reading Beijng Coma and may well have to break my own no hardbacks rule for The Dark Road

Posted too soon.
I'm just so shocked. I know forced abortion and sterilisation isn't anything new but written so plainly like that has made me feel sick. Those poor women sad

That Guardian article is awful

Corygal Mon 06-May-13 19:21:22

The Dark Road - the one-child policy book - is about what China does to women - no Mumsnet for them, but a lot of botched sterilisations, 9 month abortions, and fetuses by the roadside. Having said all that, it's not so grim as to be a turn-off, but rather an enthralling read.

Check the Guardian today

Yes I love the previous book! Beijing Coma? you won't regret. Rather funny in places, believe it or not.

cornypringle Mon 06-May-13 11:54:33

has anyone read the book about tiananmen square? I've just ordered it from amazon. Can't find my kindle.

MTSCostcoChickenFan Sun 05-May-13 18:48:28

I havent read the book but I suspect that its about how there aren't enough 'brides' available for a whole generation of guys.

Corygal Sun 05-May-13 18:46:10

It's a cracker. I broke my key life rule - no hardbacks - for it.

OneHandFlapping Sun 05-May-13 12:19:25

May be it'll be out in paerback by then Riots. It's bloody expensive - even the Kindle version is nearly £10.

RiotsNotDiets Sun 05-May-13 12:16:51

It's good then?

Might add it to my list of books to devour read once uni finishes for summer.

Corygal Sun 05-May-13 11:52:14

called The Dark Road by Ma Jian, the famous Chinese writer.

Anyone else reading? I can barely put it down to MN in hope someone else is there to talk about it with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now