The Rosie Project

(14 Posts)
Dunlurking Sat 04-May-13 12:26:23

Has anyone read this yet? Just half way through and it is hilarious. It is about a university professor who decides to find a wife by using a questionnaire he has designed. He quite obviously has Asperger's and doesn't know it, but the book doesn't poke fun at his condition, but uses it to create wonderful scenarios. It makes him sound desirable and attractive. I'm on here posting to stop myself rushing to the end too quickly really. Look out for the cocktail party scene wine, it is just grin

Am naughtily wondering whether I dare send a copy to my brother and his wife in the States, as he also has Asperger's and works in a university. Would it be inappropriate???

I think the book was the subject of a bidding war and I have a feeling the film rights have been snapped up to make a romcom movie

DuchessofMalfi Sat 04-May-13 13:41:12

It sounds good. Might put it on my tbr list. Thanks for the recommendation Dunlurking smile

AnonYonimousBird Tue 07-May-13 09:49:11

I REALLY want to read this,, heard him interviewed last week. Sounds great. It's on my TBR list, but I haven't bought it yet!

thefemaleJoshLyman Wed 08-May-13 23:37:40

I loved it. It actually made me laugh out loud.

TheRealFellatio Tue 14-May-13 14:11:54

I am halfway through it now. It is absolutely brilliant - I feel evangelical in my zeal to persuade everyone to read it. It's hilarious, but also deeply touching.

AnonYonimousBird Wed 15-May-13 19:08:47

OOOO, you're luring me in, but it's £7.99 on Kindle, I cannot justify!!!!

And anyway, my "urgent" TBR list is approx 20 books long!!!! So I can sit tight and wait for the price to drop...

TheRealFellatio Thu 16-May-13 06:49:00

Get it from the library then, but DO get it!

I reserved it from the library and had to wait a few weeks for my turn, but definitely worth the wait. I LOVE it!

dalek Sun 08-Sep-13 20:43:50

SPOILER ALERT - I realise that I may be being thick but her father is Phil isn't it and her one night stand the chap who had died?

dogindisguise Tue 10-Sep-13 19:31:50

I really enjoyed this book and the narrator's way of seeing the world. I like the idea of the Standardised Meal System. I should do something like that!

I think it's only the second Australian novel I've ever read (other one was The Slap).

Dalek - yes

Cherrypi Wed 11-Sep-13 07:37:52

Just finished this and loved it. Going to start the humans next.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 11-Sep-13 08:04:16

I read it a couple of months ago. Really enjoyed it.

Dog - I haven't read many Australian novels either. In fact the only other one I can think of is The Thorn Birds blush

sherbetpips Wed 11-Sep-13 12:11:28

I downloaded this and gone girl for my holidays. Really enjoyed this book but wish I hadnt bothered with Gone Girl. Hated all the characters, couldnt have cared less if they were all doomed.
My first Australian book too I guess, currently trying to read Snow White must Die but the translation from German is a bit rough. Will get through it.

itsallshitandmoreshit Wed 11-Sep-13 18:31:24

I loved this book! Hated 'gone girl' too, whoever said that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now