Has anyone read Nancy Mitford's books?

(82 Posts)
Kasterborous Wed 01-May-13 16:32:33

I was wondering if anyone has read them and would have an idea if I would like them or not. My favourite recent reads have been some of Kate Atkinson's books and Kate Morton, they are some of my favourites. I've seen they have got an omnibus edition of Nancy Mitford on Amazon at a good price and would keep me going for a while.

Portofino Wed 01-May-13 16:40:56

I love them personally.

Portofino Wed 01-May-13 16:41:38

Ps I also really enjoy Kate Atkinson.

recall Wed 01-May-13 16:44:33

I also love them, but haven't read the ones you mentioned

louisianablue2000 Wed 01-May-13 16:52:17

I've read love in a cold climate and the pursuit of love. Very clever and funny. If you like Wodehouse you'll probably like them, or Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons possibly. They have the same light feel. I've not read any of her non-fiction but the French biographies are suppose to be good as well.

I haven't read any kate atkinson though so no idea what her books are like so can't compare.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 01-May-13 16:55:16

I love them, especially Love in a Cold Climate, Pursuit of Love and the Blessing. Her pre war books are more of a period piece, imo.

Her historical biographies are a rip roaring read - they read like her novels. Just reading Madame de Pompadour at the moment.

Her letters are very good as well, Letters from Six Sisters edited by Charlotte Mosley is a good compendium, very funny to read.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 16:56:29

Once you've read the pursuit of love you'll understand my username.

They are utterly delicious. I LOVE them.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 01-May-13 16:57:51

grin chubfuddler

I have had legions of Mitford inspired names, last one something like LordAlconburysEntrenchingTool

MumOfTheMoos Wed 01-May-13 16:59:39

I read them all about 20 odd years go, loved them, plus love Kate Atkinson.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 17:02:08

I was daveywarbeck for a while.

Kasterborous Wed 01-May-13 17:08:36

Well with a name like Chubfuddler coming from the books I don't think I will be able to resist.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 01-May-13 17:30:05

I second GetOrf, Letters is an excellent read. As is The Mitford Girls I find them all so fascinating.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 01-May-13 17:33:58

Yes Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell is very good.

And the PICTURES. You could wear Nancy Mitford's wedding dress in 2013 and be considered utterly stylish.

piprabbit Wed 01-May-13 17:39:55
Badvoc Wed 01-May-13 17:42:00

I love them.
Am reading dont tell Alfred ATM!
Agree if you like pg Wodehouse you will probably like them.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 17:42:47

I am so embarrassed. The chubfuddler is not in the pursuit of love. He's in love in a cold climate.

<the shame>

I must admit that she doesn't do much at all for me. I detest Kate Morton and get v annoyed by Kate Atkinson though (except Behind The Scenes...) so you might love them! Deffo worth a go, I'd say.

Haberdashery Wed 01-May-13 17:44:35

Brilliant brilliant books. The description of ducks mating remains one of my favourite ever lines from any book.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 17:45:32

I think they are as good literature as Waugh and f Scott Fitzgerald and they get looked down on because they're by a rich, titled woman.

The first page of the pursuit of love is one of the best opening of a book I have ever read, and I've read a lot. It never fails to make me misty eyed.

EmilyAlice Wed 01-May-13 17:47:05

I love them, they are my ultimate comfort reading. We have the TV series of Love in a Cold Climate on DVD. This is the original one with Judi Dench as Aunt Sadie not the later version. Michael Williams is utterly perfect as Davey Warbeck.

LifeofPo Wed 01-May-13 17:50:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 01-May-13 17:59:10

I've read The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate, Don't Tell Alfred, and The Blessing. Loved them all. Now I want to re-read them smile

I remember the original TV series with Judi Dench too EmilyAlice smile

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 01-May-13 18:01:18

The end line of Pursuit of Love is so, so bittersweet.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 18:12:48

I'm going to start writing the names of people I don't like on pieces of paper and putting them in drawers like uncle Matthew.

Chubfuddler Wed 01-May-13 18:13:21

Oh don't getorf you'll make me bulb.

I love the bolter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now