Humorous fiction about looking after toddlers

(10 Posts)
crochetcircle Mon 29-Apr-13 20:42:20

So, I was thinking today that I would like to read a humorous book about being a parent of toddlers/babies, as this is what I do all day.

I mean a book of fiction that will make me laugh and offer me a funny perspective on my life, not a book about how to do it or what to expect etc

Are there any such books/authors?

Nothing cheesy or vomit inducing like About A Boy, or too sad like the Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Something more like Adrian Mole, but for parents (I loved the Cappuccino Years which is coincidentally about his years as a single parent!) or Wilt (Tom Sharpe) for parents (I've read the ones where Wilt and Eva he has quadruplets - very funny).

Any ideas?

geminigirl Mon 29-Apr-13 23:23:55

I laughed at the "How to be a Little Sod" series - might be what you're looking for?

www.amazon.co.uk/How-Little-Sod-Simon-Brett/dp/0575041609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367310448&sr=8-1&keywords=little+sod

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 01-May-13 08:15:27

[shocked] at About a Boy!!!

How very dare you wink

I have no non cheesy suggestions but I found The secret life of a slummy mummy very funny- it is cheesy and is about school years really but I read sensible fiction, history and classics usually so feel justified in reading this.

Nonotthatagain Wed 01-May-13 08:50:48

Confessions of a bad mother by Stephanie Calman is very funny IMO grin

Howstricks Wed 01-May-13 11:00:59

The two books by mel gieldroy, one about her pregnancy and the second about her life with a toddler...i wept laughing and made snorty pig noises into my coffee. Absolute brilliance, one of my best reads ever and so, so funny.

Howstricks Wed 01-May-13 11:03:11

Actually i think it's spelt Mel Gieldroyc...tired brain won't think!!! Pop it into amazon search under books and it'll come up.

crochetcircle Fri 10-May-13 08:41:07

Thanks so much. I'm going to order all these!

Sorry for taking ages to reply.

crochetcircle Fri 10-May-13 08:41:44

And I love Mel Giedroyc! Good call howstricks wink

GrandPoohBah Fri 10-May-13 08:43:10

I was about to suggest the Stephanie Calman book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now