Margaret attwood

(114 Posts)
marissab Thu 25-Apr-13 17:54:09

I adore handmaids tale. I love the futuristic 1984-ish bleak future themes. Are her other books along the same themes? I don't know whether they'll live up to HMT.

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:06:41

Argh, critiquer = to critique, obviously.

madammoose Thu 25-Apr-13 22:06:56

I really enjoyed A Handmaid's Tale & just read Surfacing on holiday which was also good. It wasn't long so I even got to read a second book. We were only away for a week, so I was delerious with happiness - reading is the biggest activity I have missed since having my son in 2010.

I liked it - and (other than the lovely Jane) I tend not to like books by women much either (increasingly so as I get older and fussier/crabbier).

madammoose Thu 25-Apr-13 22:07:31

* delirious

It's quite spare and doesn't waffle on in the way that I think some of her others do.

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:08:23

Don't worry, AF. I bet you wouldn't pronounce Y as "epsilon" in a French sentence, so you are already much better than DH grin

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 22:09:11

What a strange pronouncement, to "not like books by women"

Why ever not ?

janx Thu 25-Apr-13 22:10:31

She's my mum

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Thu 25-Apr-13 22:12:16

steben Oh! I didn't know Oryx & Crake/After The Flood was going to be a trilogy. V Excited now! I bloody love Margaret Atwood. <Joins Atwood Hero Worship Quiche>

SorrelForbes Thu 25-Apr-13 22:12:18

She's one of the few authors whose books I re-read frequently. HMT, Alias Grace, O&C and The Penelopiad are amongst her best IMHO. Cats Eyes really affected me. I wept.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 25-Apr-13 22:14:01

I like all of MA's books but as I get older find them a bit naive. Much prefer Rose Tremain

Because I am fed up of women either overwriting and trying to be all 'poetic' on the whole. Maybe I've chosen the wrong women in recent years.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 22:17:59

If you are basing your assessment of recent female "authors" on that person that "wrote" 50SOG then I might agree with you, Remus

smile I read one paragraph. It was more than enough.

Love Margaret Attwood although I struggled with Oryx & Crake. Favourites are Robber Bride, Blind Assassin & Edible Woman as I really related to the main character & always hoped for a 'Duncan' to save me (never happened & I had up do it myself).

Might give Oryx & Crake another go, I didn't know it was part of a trilogy.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 25-Apr-13 22:22:51

I dislike a lot of male authors in particular Ian McEwan who although is a good writer seems to have a very 'male' pov and is also obsessed with sex!

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:23:37

AF - Because books by women authors tend to focus on feminine issues, bickering between women, and feeeeelings all of which I find profoundly uninteresting on every level.

I just checked my Kindle account now - Out of 37 books I have read last year, only 6 were written by women and I loved 2: Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke Of Insight, which is a brain scientist's auto-biographical account of her stroke and subsequent years of recovery.

If you want obsessed with sex, try Pat Barker. 'Still Life' was beyond ridiculous.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 22:24:50

Actually, looking back many years, I think I had to have more than one jump at Oryx and Crake to get into it smile

Since then, I have had several

lottieandmia Thu 25-Apr-13 22:25:57

I love Margaret Atwood. IMHO, The Hanmaid's Tale is surpassed by Cat's Eye and The Robber Bride.

KittenofDoom Thu 25-Apr-13 22:26:18

I just have to say that I hate the use of 'critique' as a verb. A critic criticises {something} and the resulting criticisms, taken together, form a critique.

There, now I've got that off my chest.

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:28:17

If Ian McEwan is "obsessed with sex", what does that make Henry Miller and Charles Bukowski?

AnyFucker Thu 25-Apr-13 22:28:36

kitten, it was a light-hearted, tongue in cheek comment

honest

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Apr-13 22:30:49

Kitten - A critique can be positive, in which case it is not a criticism.

So, you can't really say "A critique criticises something".

KittenofDoom Thu 25-Apr-13 22:32:03

What was? I just hate "critique" used as a verb, it's such an X Factor sort of word. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now